cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS servers failing

vendetta
Rising Star

Re: DNS servers failing

This is a major problem with the 24/7 service except for business being removed.
DNS servers down all including DNS down 212.159.6.9 also second ending with 10 also 212.159.13.49also second DNS ending in 50.Cant report 24/7 service stopped.
PlusNet are getting worse as they grow and I have seen this since being with this service.
Like they are too big for their boots attitude,  once the company get's to large the residential customers become just another number or a non caring approach seems to have appeared from PlusNet.
The PlusNet attitudes have change from
''We will do you proud''-----  To --- ''We will not give a care in the World as we have so many customers now losing a few is no problem to us!''
I have had to change all settings in router and Xbox as well as for DNS using OpenDNS.
This service is not good enough! Many users use their net after 10pm or does PlusNet not understand that?  
Going to the non 24/7 service has made no difference to the waiting times even after a promise of faster response times by PlusNet after Leeds centre opened!
Start neglecting your residential customers PlusNet and you will be losing them in the 1000s!
Your systems should be monitoring drops of DNS and some form of after 10pm reporting and management service should be implemented ASAP
You Have Not Done Us Proud!
boingy

Re: Some sites load, others don't and show ERR-NAME-RESOLUTION-FAILED

And the same here. Tried to put a ticket n so that PlusNet at least know it is happening and... couldn't find a way to make a ticket any more! When did that go???
octalorangutan

Joining the fun...got up this morning - wife says Internet not working...oh, joy says I...
...after being led up the garden path for a while by http://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1010145 - beta firmware made no difference, but their secondary workaround of changing DNS worked...I can't actually tell how old that FAQ is - no date, thanks Asus.
Anyway, so it looks like it's a plus.net issue seems to be the consensus here...quick note to those having trouble with changing the DNS settings - you may need to renew your DHCP lease on your PC/device to get that to actually take...my usual 16 or so daily websites all come up fine with Google 8.8.8.8
I did briefly try explicitly setting DNS to 212.159.6.9 (the primary server DHCP gives my router) but that didn't seem to work...
Interestingly when all was dead before I tried anything the ping tool on my router was able to resolve www.google.co.uk and ping it OK - don't know if the Asus firmware ignores the DNS settings from the ISP and just uses Google or something...
Anyway, good luck all - I'm off to work - hoping this will be resolved by the time I get back.
On a related note, this may all be my fault - I was saying only the other day to one of the guys at work how reliable my ISP was...DOH!
Cheers,
Greg
100mileshigh
Dabbler

Same issue here. Switched to Google's dns servers and got access to some sites like Google and Daily Mail back, but many many still unavailable.
boingy

I think this is a problem outside of PlusNet but it would be nice if they could confirm that. Anyone remember when the service status page told the truth and promptly too.
That honesty and transparency on the service status page used to be the reason I recommended PlusNet to people....
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Not sure what the score is as I'm on my way into the office, but I know people are aware of the issue as there's an internal problem being worked on (ref: 87949). I'm sure somebody will be along before too long to clarify further.
Apologies for the lack of any official service notification.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

irrelevant

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Linky.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Motteroy

Definitely sounds like they are having problems with their DNS servers. Try changing the DNS setting on your network adaptor to manual, and set the primary DNS address as 208.67.222.222 and the secondary to 208.67.222.220 to use the OpenDNS servers, out you could leave the 2nd server as 212.159.6.9 (the plusnet server)
darklight
Grafter

Ok i've changed the DNS to google DNS in my router and still can't get to google.co.uk all i get is Server not found, but if i use my wifi on my mobile to my router i can get google.co.uk, so something is stopping it on my pc what do i change?
JASLincs
Dabbler

All too high tech for me, I'm afraid.  There are 2 other threads deaing with the same thing. Guess we technophobes will just have to wait.  If it's planned maintenance it would have been nice to have some warning.  I dare say there are many, many PN customers who don't have the benefit of this forum now pulling their hair out trying to figure out why their computer, tablet or whatever isn't working.  If it's a breakdown - well, then, I suppose these things happen.
CdrJameson

Seems to be that UK addresses aren't resolving properly.
google.co.uk gets a DNS fail, but google.com is fine
yahoo.co.uk  is the same
theregister.com resolves, but can't connect (I think the server is UK based)
plus.net works, luckily, but you can't report faults (hurrah! Need an emergency button on that page)
desktop

The problem isn't outside PlusNet because I can VPN to a machine connected via BT and their internet is fine.
paulh
Rising Star

It isn't just .co.uk domains - hotmail/outlook is inaccessible to me too.
nursemorph
Dabbler

For a couple of hours, the Google DNS settings worked but, 20 minutes ago, they started behaving the same way as the Plusnet DNS...tried switching to the Open DNS settings but that is making no difference whatsoever. Guess we'll just have to wait for the however many hours it takes for it to be looked into....used to be that these things got sorted out pretty promptly regardless of the time of day but seems that removing night-time support means things take hours to get fixed....usual story of a company getting too big for it's boots and stopping being concerned with it's residential customers and focusing 99% of it's effort into business customers