cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS servers failing

NeilMcEachran
Hooked

Re: Some sites load, others don't and show ERR-NAME-RESOLUTION-FAILED

same here.  can't get on Twitter, can't get on BBC, so that's when I stop trying and start looking for answers.  
I see no answers from plusnet?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The broadband usage graph web page was removed some time ago.
grizedale
Grafter

Apps not refreshing, BBC News, Huffington, Tumblr...says I have no connection yet here I am...
Kalimalian
Dabbler

One more in the same boat here. Can't wait for my contract with Plusnet to end so I can go with a better provider!
balmedie
Dabbler

Re: DNS servers failing

On the PN service status pages there was an announcement saying that there was overnight maintenance happening every night this week between midnight and 6am by BT
Im guessing they have run over or someone hasnt plugged something back in!
southheathen
Dabbler

I thought it was the Windows Update patch that loaded up on startup at first, then discovered it was DNS issue emanating from PN. It would be nice if someone from PN would give us a clue as to what is actually going on.  Angry
jfelten

Same here for the past 6 hours or so (since roughly 1:30AM BST) and persisting until now (7:24AM BST).  I can get to some hosts but not others.  For example, trying to get to fastmail.fm I can only get as far as:  
peer2-et-9-3-0.faraday.ukcore.bt.net (62.6.201.195
But I can get to other hosts such as google.com fine.  
I've tried routing from outside Plusnet and things route properly and packets get through, so the problem is somewhere on Plusnet's side (BT's backbone?).  They have planned work posted but I'm not in the areas they list.  I am disappointed such a major fault has persisted for 6 hours and counting.  This should have been detected by Plusnet immediately.  If it is planned maintenance they should have made provisions to route around the affected core routers.  That's the whole point of packet routing.  
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Switching to Google DNS or OpenDNS does seem to work around the problem as far as I can tell.
darklight
Grafter

Just won't up, holy shit google is down have we had a alien invasion took out google, thats not good, checked number of other sites they are down, so i've jumped on my mobile 4G and all seems working,
ok back to reality, plusnet get your act together and sort it please.
ke1thd1an3
Dabbler

Me too.' Address not found' on most sites, no probs on others. Can get youtube for instance, but no daily telegraph or daily mail
transmission1
Dabbler

Thought it was just me,  or I'd been cut off. Just woke up and according to my router logs, we've had issues since approx 1.30 am.
Rebooted both openreach box and router in the hope it would go away but I've had to resort to 4G to see this forum...  Sad
balmedie
Dabbler

Quote from: jfelten
Same here for the past 6 hours or so (since roughly 1:30AM BST) and persisting until now (7:24AM BST).  I can get to some hosts but not others.  For example, trying to get to fastmail.fm I can only get as far as:  
peer2-et-9-3-0.faraday.ukcore.bt.net (62.6.201.195
But I can get to other hosts such as google.com fine.  
I've tried routing from outside Plusnet and things route properly and packets get through, so the problem is somewhere on Plusnet's side (BT's backbone?).  They have planned work posted but I'm not in the areas they list.  I am disappointed such a major fault has persisted for 6 hours and counting.  This should have been detected by Plusnet immediately.  If it is planned maintenance they should have made provisions to route around the affected core routers.  That's the whole point of packet routing.  

Yep, this.....where is the path redundancy, BGP, IP SLA, HSRP, etc.....surely they cant have only one backbone link....or could they.....
JASLincs
Dabbler

Well, it's a relief that the problem is general - we have a flaky connection at the best of times so I assumed that this was another of my annual line failures but this timre only 4 weeks after the last one (when the line to the exchange needed to be repaired as it does every year or so).
Some indication of when things might return to normal would be good before I use up this month's tethering allowance. Sad
Philae

Same here. Plusnet's DNS server is borked.

$ dig @212.159.13.49 news.bbc.co.uk ANY
; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @212.159.13.49 news.bbc.co.uk ANY
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 24871
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;news.bbc.co.uk. IN ANY
;; Query time: 26 msec
;; SERVER: 212.159.13.49#53(212.159.13.49)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep 10 07:28:01 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 32

Note the 'answer' section is empty. Whereas trying with Google's DNS serve givesr:

$ dig @8.8.4.4 news.bbc.co.uk ANY
; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @8.8.4.4 news.bbc.co.uk ANY
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 46697
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;news.bbc.co.uk. IN ANY
;; ANSWER SECTION:
news.bbc.co.uk. 674 IN CNAME newswww.bbc.net.uk.
;; Query time: 21 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.4.4#53(8.8.4.4)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep 10 07:33:10 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 62

A (not ideal) workaround is to add Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) to your list of DNS servers.
alienonline

Same here.  Did the recycling while rebotting.  Thanks for the work around.