cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'DLM Quantisation' project, safe times to reboot?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 'DLM Quantisation' project, safe times to reboot?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Thanks Smiley
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: lucerne
Can anyone point me to a link that gives "official" info on the DLM Quantisation project? Please!

There isn't any yet.
On FTTC your BRAS profle is calculated on the fly every time you resync, so if you have a different sync rate each time then the BRAS profle will always calculate to match the sync rate. On ADSL and ADSL2+ it wouldn't change on the sync but up to 1-5 days later. With BRAS Quantisation, ADSL2+ works the same as FTTC so the BRAS profile is calculated each time the line resyncs not 1-5 days later. We fed back to BT that this should be the way that it works and they listened and changed it.
At the moment, only 40% of the ADSL2+ MSANs support this, the remainder will support it in June and the full support will be complete by October. The intention is that rather than having to wait 1-5 days for the profile to update it will be done immediately and rather than having to be stuck with the existing profiles in 500kbps or 1000kbps steps any profile is now valid so almost everyone on ADSL2+ will see a small increase in throughput.
Full rollout is due in October when all the profile changes will be fully supported.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: dave
On FTTC your BRAS profle is calculated on the fly every time you resync, so if you have a different sync rate each time then the BRAS profle will always calculate to match the sync rate. On ADSL and ADSL2+ it wouldn't change on the sync but up to 1-5 days later. With BRAS Quantisation, ADSL2+ works the same as FTTC so the BRAS profile is calculated each time the line resyncs not 1-5 days later. We fed back to BT that this should be the way that it works and they listened and changed it.

That is the most spectacularly amazingly positive thing you could announce on here - I'm amazed no-one has responded.
It wouldn't affect me directly, but it affects a lot of people - surely it has to be half the volume of work on the threads here (both explaining, and responding to).
At the moment, only 40% of the ADSL2+ MSANs support this, the remainder will support it in June and the full support will be complete by October. The intention is that rather than having to wait 1-5 days for the profile to update it will be done immediately and rather than having to be stuck with the existing profiles in 500kbps or 1000kbps steps any profile is now valid so almost everyone on ADSL2+ will see a small increase in throughput.

On average, 250Kbps for those <9Mbps, and 500Kbps for those > 9Mbps. Certainly not to be sniffed at.
Full rollout is due in October when all the profile changes will be fully supported.

Does that include rollout of the Plusnet side of things, as well as the BT side?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
phil4
Grafter

Wow, as WWWombat says, that's fantastic.
It's almost a shame I'm not adsl2+ anymore (actually I never quite was, more ADSL1)...  The one thing I really didn't like on the meagre speeds I was on, was getting a sync of 1699, and only having a profile of 1500, or 2459 and only getting 2000.  For someone on such slow speeds, those steps seemed a bit large.
Well done!
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: WWWombat

Does that include rollout of the Plusnet side of things, as well as the BT side?

We're just waiting for confirmation of exactly what is changing in the reporting side then we can look at exactly what we need to build on our side. At the moment I can't say when that will happen as we don't know the full details yet to be able to create a worklist of changes to make.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From my last BT speedtest it looks as though I have now been taken off the trial as the IP profile is now 4000kbps although the actual speed is quite remarkable
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I was taken off a few days ago.
But I'm back on again! Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Epyon
Grafter

I've been getting over 700kbps faster than my ip profile
very odd ha
godsell4
Rising Star

Dave,
What about those on exchanges still waiting for a WBC update? Mine still does not even have an expected date.
So assuming my line/exchange is now handled via IPStreamConnect, does this apply to my line too?
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The quantisation software goes on MSANs and those are part of WBC. So I guess it won't be on IPSC where DSLAMs remain in use in the exchange. Sad
David