cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'DLM Quantisation' project, safe times to reboot?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

'DLM Quantisation' project, safe times to reboot?

When is a safe time to reboot a router with the new 'DLM Quantisation' project so that we aren't given a new lower IP profile?  Bob Pullen informed us about it after on usenet after some have IP profiles that differ from the expected.
I decided to return to a newer firmware after tryng to get more stability with an older one and failed, so added the firmware 5am ish.  First reboot it auto connects with default settings so required a second.
Each reboot dropped the tested download speeds by about 30kB/s.  Used to be 4am onwards was safe but no longer so when?
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
25 REPLIES 25
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: 'DLM Quantisation' project, safe times to reboot?

Hey Gus,
It should make no difference as long as you tell the router to disconnect first rather than just power cycle it as that would get picked up as a forced disconnection.
Rebooting in the first few hours of daylight may give you the best chances but the improvement would probably be minimal.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gus
Aspiring Pro

This New Feature isn't working. Just lost sync twice, once with a fault second a forced re-sync.
First time my connection speed went From 2278 kbps download the normal 373 kbps upload, on reconnection it was 2000ish and 300
Second time 2559 kbps and 105.  On the forced re-sync why did my download jump back up to what it was a week ago but my upload dropped by 2/3's
Can you Not beta test on live accounts as that is exactly how it seems
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

From my strange BT Test results I assume my circuit is an experimental one. Despite some drops sync has been up to 9K with att 47, margin 3. Last night a storm did its worst and sync was down to 8147, margin 6.
Disconnected and powered down; went out shopping; rebooted router on return; sync 9059, margin 3.
All watered down of course by the reported profile system- 6500.
Hope the project succeeds, though there might be elfin safety issues that some suited gnome could be looking for, like terminal EU shock to scupper it. Crazy Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Hero

What sections of Plusnet know which EUs' connections are on the trial, like tech support for instance?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I suspect there isn't an EU associated trial as such - just BT testing new DLM/MSAN software for short periods in various exchanges as they see fit. In my case TBB download speeds increased by around 170Kbps (5050 to 5220Kbps) for a period of 48 hours, then dropped back. IP Profile 5500kbps throughout with increase to 6000kbps counting down the days. (I assume K=1024, k=1000.)
I've been on ADSL2+ only for 6 weeks, and the router re-syncs when the DLM software is changed - giving the appearance of a dropping connection. On maxDSL I'd been connected for 50 days prior to ADSL2+ upgrade; maximum duration on ADSL2+ has been about 5 days, giving the appearance of less stability. Installing/removing the trial DLM software perhaps gives a false impression of (reduced) stability on ADSL2+.
David
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What does EU mean?
AFAIK 'DLM Quantisation' is a meaningless expression?
My line has been running on a 3dB noise margin, enhanced IP profile for weeks now.
Plusnet's profile settings do not operate in the same world though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

EU End User
Gus
Aspiring Pro

@ fox Bob P mentioned that description of it on the usenet after a few reported getting previously unknown IP profiles
Strange IP Profile values from bt speedtester
Turns out that the non-standard IP profiles are part of BT Wholesale's
'DLM Quantisation' project.

The idea is to set the profile kind of 'on the fly' like what happens
with Fibre.

It only affects certain 21CN provisioned circuits at present, and we're
still ironing out a few matters with BT before we can announce anything.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: spraxyt
...maximum duration on ADSL2+ has been about 5 days, giving the appearance of less stability. Installing/removing the trial DLM software perhaps gives a false impression of (reduced) stability on ADSL2+

You may well be on to something. My copper line was repaired recently and sync shot up and margin dropped well below standard target. A ticket was still open, so I enquired about drops and re-syncs with details. the line has since re-stabilised. Now for the next round of fun.
I'm in two minds now, whether to close my question on basis DLM Quant is the cause, or swap router and do yhe further tests suggested by support.
One lot of muddied waters, but rwo??? Crazy
Epyon
Grafter

So everytime i resync is goes down and it can't get back up ?
thats pretty retarded.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I get quite a lot of re-syncs (several per day), however my noise margin is a fairly constant 3dB.
Sync speeds are considerably higher than they used to be.
This has been going on for several weeks.
If Plusnet would give me a profile that actually matches the BT speed tester IP profile, then I would have a faster line.
I don't have a problem with BT dropping my line every few hours.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Luzern
Hero

Can anyone point me to a link that gives "official" info on the DLM Quantisation project? Please!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As far as I know - it is all unofficial and it was only Bob's post which told us it was even happening
Luzern
Hero

On here? I couldnot find it. Undecided Embarrassed
Linky? Smiley