cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Service / Fault resolution

Spider
Grafter

Customer Service / Fault resolution

I have not had the need to contact Plusnet for quite a while but that changed yesterday when I got home to find I had no internet connection. Then again I did guess that this might be the case as I had lost connection at work too (on the same cable route). Having spoken to Customer Services who answered the phone promptly I was advised of a problem with BT Infrastructure (possibly the exchange) and that the estimated time that it would be resolved was 10pm. That evening I could not connect again so assumed that the work was still on going. This morning I contacted Plusnet again as the DSL light was on but not the Internet light on the router. Once again I received a fast response and was advised that the BT work had been completed at 9:30pm the previous evening so looked like an authentication issue. After running a few tests I had to leave for work where I found exactly the same problem, so I notified my works ISP. In both cases each ISP kept me updated on progress.
When I got back to the office this afternoon I found that the works internet was functioning again without any further intervention from me (no one else was in the building). Excellent, ISP notified. My last communication from Plusnet advised not to turn off my router for 48 to 72 hours whilst they carry out tests. On returning home I still had DSL but not the internet so contrary to instructions I rebooted the router. After that connection was restored so I notified Plusnet.
So why the ramble? Simple, if I had followed Plusnets instructions I would have been without internet access for another 48 to 72 hours! Now I can understand why this has to be the case with testing but the point is both ISPs where given the same information and both were advised about the other router / location affected. Only one, does not know when they will look at the problem next and so require a 72 hour window to do it.
Before any one comments I know the priority of response is different, but it is not often you have the opportunity to make such a comparison and so I thought I should share it.
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Customer Service / Fault resolution

Hi @Spider,
So why the ramble? Simple, if I had followed Plusnets instructions I would have been without internet access for another 48 to 72 hours!

I've just checked the notes on your account and I don't think anyone was trying to pull the wool over your eyes. We do always advise customers to leave their equipment powered up for that period whilst we perform tests. One of the main reasons for that is to give a lead time for our faults agents working through the tickets in their pools (hence to give us time to get round to yours)
I'm glad to see that you did come back to us after we advise we were forwarding the ticket on for testing though and thanks for the feedback.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I've just checked the notes on your account and I don't think anyone was trying to pull the wool over your eyes. ...

As I didn't mention sheep, wool or body parts, I'm curious to know why you would even think that I might have thought this. I also find it quite interesting that after quoting the first line of the paragraph you go to reiterate what I said in the rest of my paragraph, just in a different way.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Spider,
Quote from: Spider
My last communication from Plusnet advised not to turn off my router for 48 to 72 hours whilst they carry out tests. On returning home I still had DSL but not the internet so contrary to instructions I rebooted the router. After that connection was restored so I notified Plusnet.

This is a very valid point you raise and upon following the faults process with the same answers as you gave I didn't see anywhere it said to reboot. I've raised this with our business improvement team as the old, "switching it off and on again" can often work wonders.
Sorry if that was a pain for you and hopefully you've highlighted something which will help others.
Jojo Smiley