cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corona Virus Lockdown & Wi-Fi Calling & Texts - Why not enable for the duration?

SplittingDis
Hooked

Corona Virus Lockdown & Wi-Fi Calling & Texts - Why not enable for the duration?

I think these are all true, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

• There are many Plusnet Mobile customers who struggle to get a mobile signal at home.
  • The lockdown means we need a good signal at home more than ever before.
  • EE provides Wi-Fi Calling, and they are owned by BT, as are Plusnet.
  • Both Plusnet and EE use the same infrastructure.
  • Plusnet SIMs (at least my Pay Monthly SIM) already allow the relevent WiFi Calling settings to be switched on if you have a suitable Andriod phone.
  • The decision to stop Plusnet customers using WiFi calling is purley commercial. i.e. If you want to use it, pay extra by going to EE.
  • Allowing WiFi Calling would not actually cost Plusnet anything

I don't disagree with the underlying business philosophy of Plusnet as ano frills mobile provider, but we are all living through something extraordinary at the moment and if technically possible, I believe that those sorts of commercial decisions should temporarily abandoned for the benefit of us all.

So Plusnet, if you can, why not enable wi-fi calling to help customers who struggle with their mobile signal at home  to communicate during this time of crisis?

If it's not possible, fine - but please explain why it's not possible.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Corona Virus Lockdown & Wi-Fi Calling & Texts - Why not enable for the duration?

If you don't persuade Plusnet, you might consider how far the options for phoning and texting available in WhatsApp (and similar apps) meet your needs?

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Corona Virus Lockdown & Wi-Fi Calling & Texts - Why not enable for the duration?

As BrightonRock advises, use WhatsApp or similar. Video calls are also possible. Google Duo works too, with Android.

I use BT Mobile (EE) and fortunate enough to have their WiFi Calling option.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It has never been clearly explained that "Proud to use the EE network" does not mean "Same as the EE network" …

• No voice over 4G
  • No access to the 800MHz band
  • No WiFi calling
  • No short code texting

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stribs
Grafter

It would be useful to allow wi-fi calling any time that EE pulls the signal for several days to do "maintenance" alternatively refund for time with no service.