cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compensation for defective email service.

Anon
Pro

Compensation for defective email service.

I think we should all get compensation for not providing the email service that we pay for. Anyone with me?

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
9 REPLIES 9
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Compensation for defective email service.

bin
Aspiring Pro

Relying on an ISP based email is about the silliest thing anyone can do (IMVHO). Having said that I know many folks use and are happy with PN email - though it is not without its problems as shown on the email forum.

You are paying for your broadband and phone - does any part of your agreement show cost of email service?

If it is broken don't use it.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

IMHO the only "useful" features of the PN e-mail are catchall and blackhole for instant temporary addresses (no setup needed) and SPAM suppression.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@bin  Of course we are all paying for the email service in the same way as we are all paying for the usage meter which is unavailable to many (most?) of us.  How many pence per month it works out at I don't know, and I'm pretty sure the T&Cs exclude any form of compensation if it fails.

I wholeheartedly agree that it's better to use an email service that is independent of an ISP, if for no other reason than to make migration easier.

Anon
Pro

I am delighted that you do not have any problems, but have you read the thgread on here about the issues including mine?

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

It's certainly an interesting concept though whether any of us can prove the service hasn't been provided with due care is another question entirely.

According to the Plusnet Code of Conduct they make this statement:

We don't guarantee that the service will always be fault free or uninterrupted. If you tell us about a fault, we'll pay compensation in accordance with our terms and conditions and your legal rights in respect of services which have not been provided with reasonable skill and care.

Now the cynics amongst us might argue that the only reason why Plusnet won't tell us what the problem is with Webmail is because they can't afford to compensate everyone. Whether there's any element of truth in that I can't say. Plusnet are refusing point blank to explain the problem other than the little titbits they do feed us so we can only hope that the issue will come to light by some other means whether it be through the media or action taken by the regulator.

Jonpe
Hero

I think the way the law would look at it is that if you offer an email service the customer subscribing to that service must be able to send and receive emails.  How often it is reasonable for said service to be unavailable is not quite so easily defined.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

We mustn't forget the bit about 'provided with reasonable skill and care', that's the bit that concerns me. Most people on the other thread 'Problems with Webmail' seem to think it's anything but, hence why I mentioned it's in the interests of PN to keep a lid on the matter.

Now if they did admit the fault was due to incompetence on their part we would all be expecting that compensation.

With any luck it will all come out in the wash, these things generally do in one way or another. I wonder if anyone at PN has considered becoming a whistle blower?! 

Jonpe
Hero

They are probably too out of breath to blow anything after answering all those calls.