Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming back to PlusNet at last!

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Coming back to PlusNet at last!

As some may know I left PlusNet (ADSL 8mbps) a while back for the "stormy waters" of unlimited broadband on an LLU ADSL2+ service at 20mbps, but retained my account here as "dial-up" for a whole host of reasons. I expected to return in due course when PN "caught up".  Wink
Well the "stormy waters" were actually quite calm and supportive for some considerable time, but the launch of Unlimited broadband by PlusNet made me think, but didn't trigger action then.
Then there was a well-known takeover following a failure by my ISP to embrace FTTC and I'm now coming back. Not alone of course.  Roll_eyes
So I decided to document the process to see if it will help others:
Firstly I am only moving my broadband, my phone has always been and will remain with BT. I think that simplifies things.
Secondly I already have an account, fully operational with active Direct Debit etc. (for referrals) at PlusNet, so it's just a simple product upgrade, isn't it.  Cry
Last week I called my "departing" ISP to request my MAC and that's where little problems started to occur...........................
(to be continued)
119 REPLIES 119
HPsauce
Pro

Re: Coming back to PlusNet at last!

Obviously not a PlusNet issue, but when calling Be (you knew it was them obviously) for my MAC I got through to a Sky call centre.
They tried hard to sell me on staying, but I managed to politely cut that short and get a confirmation that my MAC would be supplied "within the next day or so".
Be's web site says within 2 working days and many people were given it on the phone (even during last week) so I was a little suspicious.
So when I heard nothing I chased it up via their Forum and one of their support staff (in Bulgaria but very helpful and with excellent language skills) confirmed it was "stuck" but that he would sort it out.
He did and I had it by email by the end of that day. So far, so good (ish).
Meanwhile I raised a ticket on my PlusNet account querying what options and prices I would have for migrating in and upgrading my account from "dial-up" to Unlimited broadband.
I had some helpful replies, though DESPITE stating VERY clearly that I would 100% NOT be moving my phone line to PN they did insists on supplying all that information as well and lots of good (irrelevant to me) reasons to take both together.
When I got my MAC I entered it on the ticket and stated what exact products I wanted. It was acknowledged but I was told I had to call the Customer Options team and given a number.
Ticket responses were variable and mostly over a day, but this wasn't exactly urgent.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The last part is probably because you wanted a new user deal and by reactivating an old account the systems just won't cope
HPsauce
Pro

This morning I phoned the number and after a fairly long wait it was answered.
After going through security and various questions I was told I needed to speak to Customer Options. So I hadn't been given their number at all  Cry
I was transferred, without a long wait, and found that no details were passed over, so I had to go through security etc. etc. all over again.
After a long conversation, and lots of "on hold music" while the person went away to check things, I was told that my current account couldn't be used and that I would need a new one.
I was then transferred, without quite realising what was going on, to someone else. This turned out to be in Sales. No information was passed over, so we started all over again!  Angry
The woman I spoke to was very helpful but my "upgrade" request was clearly "beyond her pay grade" so there were several more "music on hold" sessions.
Eventually we battled through and started setting things up on a new account.  Sad
This kept hitting "glitches", though she was saving me (and hopefully her) some effort by copying information across from the old account. I think the existence of that may have triggered some duplication checks, but they were all eventually surmounted.
The final "glitch" was my MAC which was rejected!  Shocked
This eventually turned out to be a case-sensitivity issue. Now I've no idea what the letters normally are, but mine were all upper case. It's now accepted OK.
I've started to get emails and my "new" account is now open, so I await progress.
The next step I suspect will be for Be/Sky to react to the use of my MAC. Based on the experience of others the outcome of that cannot be reliably predicted.  Crazy
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
The last part is probably because you wanted a new user deal and by reactivating an old account the systems just won't cope
No, just standard Unlimited broadband at £12.49 a month. No deals.
RJM
Rising Star

"No, just standard Unlimited broadband at £12.49 a month. No deals "
I transferred ;last January  from Sky to "unlimited" with no problems - didn't take the risk going with "fibre"!
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
I await progress.
The next step I suspect will be for Be/Sky to react to the use of my MAC.

But No! I'd forgotten about PlusNet's rather odd billing systems......  Cry
Having given my bank details (well you had them already, but had to add them to my unwanted new account) and agreed I would pay by Direct Debit I got a couple of messages this evening:
1. We're setting up your Direct Debit, this could take a few days. Fair enough. I'd say at least give my bank until tomorrow to set it up.
2. (Immediately) We tried to take money but it failed. We'll try again but might have to cancel your order!  Crazy
Who designs this rubbish?  Lips_are_sealed
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
We're setting up your Direct Debit, this could take a few days.
To be precise PlusNet said:
Your Direct Debit
As you're paying by Direct Debit only, we'll progress your order once the Direct Debit instruction has been confirmed by your bank.
This generally takes a maximum of 5 working days.

So what on earth are you doing?  Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'll be interested to see the comments of someone from the Digital Care team on the need to set up a new account rather than upgrade the existing!
Presumably if they'd used the existing account there would be no need for a new DD mandate to be set up?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro

Not sure TBH, the payment details are already in there (I've checked both old and new accounts) and I have had a recent referral payment, but I don't think that uses a DD process, and they lapse if not used IIRC for 13 months.
Though I would still like a comment re having to set up a new account, which I was told several times wasn't required.  Cry
As at this morning I've been given at install date (week Today, 4th Feb) and had another threat of order cancellation due to non-payment.  Crazy
I've looked at my bank account online and there's no evidence I can see of any attempt to take payment. Might phone them later.
I don't hand over my credit card details without good reason and I haven't ever given them to PlusNet or any other utility service provider who I pay by DD, SO or (rarely) cheque.
It appears that while the PN systems are designed to work with DD payment, at the slightest opportunity they switch to "card mode" which is at best confusing.
HPsauce
Pro

Phoned my bank who confirm they have had no request from PlusNet to set up a Direct Debit.  Angry
Maybe the account details have been entered wrongly (you can only see part online), but can I be bothered to hang on to the phone when I ring PN?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Please ignore the failed payment messaging, that's because I kicked your new account forward so it'd ask for the MAC to be entered so my fault there, sorry. From your comments earlier on, I'm assuming you'd rather us wait for the DD to go active rather than take the initial fee by card, obviously this is going to delay the order but you seem to know that already.
I'm getting the 'failed' payment removed shortly so we won't notify you again about that.
On the new account issue, it is possible to reactivate an old account, but not desirable due to the complications of doing so. Leave it with me and we'll see if we can sort that out rather than have you with 2 accounts.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HPsauce
Pro

Thanks Chris, I'm very happy to wait for the processes to run through as long as the MAC doesn't expire; no rush at all.   Cool
This is just sort of interesting in that I'm trying to understand (and highlight) where PN's systems don't really help either them or their customers, though I do realise I'm trying to do something slightly out of the ordinary. Maybe you should have just left it to "do it's thing" and we could "watch and learn".  Cheesy
Given I think I have a very good understanding of both banking and broadband none of this is a surprise, but an "average Joe" might start to panic.
That's why I'm just noting it here, not raising a ticket or phoning you.
It does sound like your DD setup system might be a bit antiquated though and not really fit for purpose in the era of instant payments.  Undecided
As for multiple accounts, if that can be fixed in due course, great. If not, so be it. I'm sure it will cause another DD issue though.  Roll_eyes
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There seems to be an active DD on the older account already, so shouldn't cause an issue there. The billing system is something that we're overhauling, but it's a long process.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@HPSauce
Does the bank say that the old DD is still there?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)