cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chose fibre unlimited, ended up with no Internet.

Philbert
Grafter

Chose fibre unlimited, ended up with no Internet.

A few weeks ago I agreed to the unlimited fibre broadband. Soon after on that same day, no internet.
Contacted Plusnet support. I commented on the coincidence of the loss of connectivity following agreeing to fibre, as if Plusnet may have changed something, but this was dismissed by Plusnet's support agent. What was recommended was that I disconnect everything but the modem for three days, including the house phone...
Doubted the above, so checked my router and changed it to server-assigned ip address. Immediately regained internet. Turned out that on my agreeing to fibre, plusnet immediately changed my static ip number, but didn't think to tell me. Seems to me that even if I'd left my router plugged in for a month, that wouldn't have achieved anything. Anyway, that's now sorted.
An engineer was booked to sort out the phone faceplate & fibre modem, between 1 and 6pm this week. No show. Got a phone call at about 5 to say he'd be after 6. No show, and no further info. Turns out he ran out of time. These things happen, but the courtesy of a call would be merited, explaining why one finds oneself heading towards the back of the queue again, and what is happening about rearranging a visit.
MEANWHILE, our phone line had become very crackly, eventually drowning out any attempted conversation, and after a few hours, we lost the dialling tone and our broadband connection dropped from our usual 7000kbs to around 800kbps. After running various tests to do with using land-line phones on the test socket, and reporting back to Plusnet via chat help as to the results of using the test socket, I was assured I would receive a text updating me. What I got was a text linking to a Plusnet video on how to find and use the test socket...
(Weirdly, just after this chat session, we regained the dialling tone, and the downstream connection speed went back to normal levels, for a few minutes)
It was only when I phoned Plusnet and (eventually) spoke to someone that I finally got an appointment for an engineer to come out and check our phone line (in four days time - if he doesn't run out of time), and was put through (eventually) to 'Provisioning', who are sorting out a fibre setup visit. I should hear from them tomorrow...
So wot?

• Well, Plusnet should surely make sure any changes to a subscriber's account are logged and are apparent to help-line staff and to the customer.

• Any effort to keep to a minimum that ghastly process of having to re-explain a problem to different help-line staff would be most welcome.

• There should surely be a process log attachable to a customer's account to record what standard steps had been taken to resolve any issue: as the customer jumps through the check-list hoops, they should be checked off, and when complete the customer should be rewarded with an action plan, not just nothing...

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Chose fibre unlimited, ended up with no Internet.

Quote from: Philbert
...checked my router and changed it to server-assigned ip address. Immediately regained internet. Turned out that on my agreeing to fibre, plusnet immediately changed my static ip number, but didn't think to tell me.

I would be surprised that the static IP address was changed immediately, however PlusNet are in the process of swapping around static IP addresses, for which, if you are affected, you should have received an email some weeks back.
Whatever, you should NEVER attempt to assign the IP address yourself.  You should always configure the router as DHCP leaving PlusNet's systems to manage the assignment of the static IP.  This could have masked no end of problem investigation activity.
That said telling you to disconnect everything for 3 days is just plain daft.
The rest could be the consequence of someone working in the local cabinet.  BTOR no show due to job over runs is common place!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

oooBEXooo
Grafter

Re: Chose fibre unlimited, ended up with no Internet.

welcome to the club