cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation Problems

morton18

Cancellation Problems

I have been a plusnet customer since August and am moving flat.  I was thinking of transferring but its a new flat and so I need to get a BT engineer out to install a line £90 to BT or with a free installation I have to sign up to BT and make x amount of calls per month else I get charged.  So anyway I  went to cancel my policy only to be told it would be a £90 cancellation fee for equipment!?
It is clearly stated here on this website that plusnet got rid of their cancellation charge.  Also
a) I was never told this when I first signed up - in which case I have been mis sold this product and
b) £90 for a wireless box?? You have to be joking!!
My other gripe is, if plusnet is owned by BT, why do I then have to sign up to BT line rental to continue with plusnet service?Huh
Its all a very false economy! Plus the fact that you take money out of the account in advance and you finance dept have messed up by charging me twice for the same service last month.
You now have my bank account details and seem to be able to take money out on whim - is this legal?Huh
All I want is to cancel with no charge, you have already taken out money for next month which I have no intention of using.
Please can someone help or explain?? I already rang up but your team seem to be full of contradictions!
A VERY unhappy customer.
17 REPLIES 17
James
Grafter

Re: Cancellation Problems

Hi,
Basically, we activated your broadband free of charge (costing us £40), sent you a free router (costing us £30) and BT will charge us £25 to cancel your line, hence the £95 you have been quoted.
If there is no phoneline at your new place, BT will charge you £124.99 to activate a new phoneline on a rolling annual contract.  We can do this for £49.99.
We can also move your broadband to your new property free of charge (apart from the phone line installation cost) if you stay with us for a further year.
morton18

I still think this is an extortionate amount, also, I was never told of the cancellation fee when I first joined up, else I would have never signed up in the first place.
James
Grafter

No, and that's true.
Instead you were told that you were on an 18 month contract.  We have recently made changes to remove the 18 month contracts (which we gave you notice of almost a couple months ago), meaning that you could leave free of charge (apart from the cease charge) if you stayed with us for over 12 months.
Kazbah
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
If there is no phoneline at your new place, BT will charge you £124.99 to activate a new phoneline on a rolling annual contract.  We can do this for £49.99.

Wish i'd known that two and a half years ago  Sad
morton18

When did you tell me of the changes??  You have my debit card details and seem to take money out when you please.  You have doubly charged me for the same service a month ago, which if I hadn't have reported to you, you would have not realised for yourself.
James
Grafter

It was about six weeks ago.
Kazbah
Grafter

I got my email notifying me of the changes on the 8th September
morton18

Well I have checked all my email and I have no record of you notifying me of changes to terms and conditions, plus surely you would need authorisation to change terms and conditions? The only correspondance I had from you was to say I was connected, and then to confirm I'd been charged twice for the same month.  I would like proof you sent me this notification.  It just seems a ploy the whole time to get people in a contract under false pretence then sting them later.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could of course insist on Plusnet honouring the old contract terms and not charge you for the activation/equipment etc.
Then you would only be liable for about 15 months worth of payments which, at £5.99 per month is only £89.85 plus the line cancellation charge which was there when you signed up of £20 making a total of £109.95
morton18

Either way its a rip off - am I surprised they are a subsidiary of BT...er no? 
James
Grafter

Right. So - we give you stuff for free within an 18 month contract (activation, hardware, etc).
You decide to leave within 6 months and complain when we charge you cancellation payments.
We are not a charity.
morton18

Thats a professional way to speak to your customer!  Im not expecting you to be a charity, Im expecting a service where you simply change ts and cs at your own whim, and take double payments out my bank account.  I wanted to transfer my service originally, not leave, either way its going to cost me money, and originally there was no mention of a cancellation fee until you supposedly sent me notification of changes of ts and cs which I did not consent to.  I will send the hardware back, thats not a problem, and other service providers also give you free hardware without charging you an extrotionate amount to leave. 
Please cancel my service and I will return the hardware.  I would also like to remind you you have taken payment for next month which I wont be using.
Thanks
scarrabri
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
No, and that's true.
Instead you were told that you were on an 18 month contract.  We have recently made changes to remove the 18 month contracts (which we gave you notice of almost a couple months ago), meaning that you could leave free of charge (apart from the cease charge) if you stayed with us for over 12 months.
      wow now i have just cancelled my contract with plusnet ,and i have a 18 month contract,and the guy at cancellations said it was ilegal of plusnet to put out 18 month contracts ,and it would be free to cancell because of that ,i did record the conversation,,and if this is not true ,my solicitor will be taking this up
morton18

Finally got through to a nice guy at the call centre, Andy, he was a lot more helpful that the usual staff are and sorted everything out for me  Wink