cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Display

DeflatedEmu

Caller Display

Just switched to PlusNet from TalkTalk - have to say I'm feeling slightly deflated immediately, having just found out that Caller Display is a paid upgrade. If this was stated when I signed up, I missed it. It came as standard with my previous provider, leading me to think it was a feature of my handset rather than a provider controlled feature. While the cost isn't huge in absolute terms, it's a dent in the good deal I thought I was getting, and another little chip in the monthly spend - every little hurts, to misquote Tesco  Sad
I never answer the phone to an unknown number, there are too many con-artists and weirdos out there. And that's just my family  Shocked
13 REPLIES 13
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Caller Display

Welcome to the forums  Smiley
Do a search and you will find this has been debated to distruction, particularly that many would prefer to have caller display free rather than 1571  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
joclark
Grafter

Hi, welcome to the forums I hope your enjoying the service. I understand with the caller ID, mine are weirdos too :P. When it comes to the caller ID it is £0.99 per month, its still cheaper than some providers out there.
Jo
DeflatedEmu

Hi Peter - yes, I read some archived grumbling from way back in 2011 before I added my post. If this were an enquiry for help, I'd have kept schtum and read the advice, but seeing as they asked for feedback I thought I'd add my voice - well they didn't say it needed to be original and exciting  Smiley
And thanks for the welcome and reply Jo. I saw the price when I discovered it was an add on. If you're paying £50 a month for your phone/broadband, I agree, what's another quid; but if you've been attracted by a great deal for £2.50, allowed for another £2 for evening/weekend calls, and then are hit with another cost you didn't anticipate, there comes a point where the shine on the original deal starts to disappear. The value you feel your getting is relative to the price you started at, not to the absolute value of a pound. I like to imagine myself wearing a white coat and pointing at a graph with a stick whilst delivering that last line.
joclark
Grafter

That would be an interesting thing to see. However, when it comes to the call plans and the phone line, it is on par if not slightly less than most of the companies out there. Yes, when you look at the add ons with any company including us there are added costs to everything these days unfortunately. We are still as you say pound to pound the same if not cheaper than most providers. We also still have the award winning service which is another reason as well as cost why people like yourself come across.
Jo
Razorback
Grafter

When I was with BT I was paying about £4pm so 99p is a bargain in comparison!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Per quarter, surely?
Actually £5·25 currently with BT.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
RadioFox
Grafter

I signed up to PN phone service over the internet & it was clearly stated that caller ID would be 99p per month.
I think most of the phone providers charge for caller ID now, even BT (my former phone provider) now charge £1.75 per month, (unless you keep agreeing to a yearly contract)
DeflatedEmu...who was your previous provider?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: RadioFox
I think most of the phone providers charge for caller ID now, even BT (my former phone provider) now charge £1.75 per month, (unless you keep agreeing to a yearly contract)

The next thing will be an optional monthly charge for the ring so that you know someone is calling you Lips_are_sealed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RadioFox
Grafter

...but not everyone uses caller ID. I know a few people who don't bother with it. They prefer the thrill of not knowing who's calling them.  Grin
dick:quote
DeflatedEmu

Hi RadioFox - I was with TalkTalk (Essentials Package) from early 2012. I don't recall requesting caller display as an extra - in fact I've just dug out the welcome leaflet with my charges on: no itemised extras, no mention of caller display anywhere, either as an optional extra or feature of the package.
Like you, I signed up for plusnet online, but don't remember seeing the mention of caller display. Like I say, I didn't even know it was an extra controlled by the service providers, so I wasn't expecting to be without it. I can only guess I must have skimmed over it assuming it wasn't relevant to me. Sloppy. Schoolboy error.
DeflatedEmu

Really Jo....
"We are still as you say pound to pound the same if not cheaper than most providers"
I think you'll find I didn't say this. Shameless!!  Huh As for that award winning service, the site is grinding along slowly this evening. You need to get back and pedalling on the plusnet generator bike.
hillyfields123
Grafter

Just another voice to add to the "free caller display" crowd.
I too think that caller display should be swapper for the 1571 service - One can buy an answer phone fairly cheap off eBay but caller display has to come from the provider!
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I would object strongly to losing the facilities provided by "1571" that are not available with an answer-phone Shocked However, the charges for CLId are, in my uninformed opinion, excessive - based on the assumption that it is present but suppressed unless you pay, which implies a zero cost differential Shocked Crazy
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.