cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Tarrif accessibility

wphil
Dabbler

Call Tarrif accessibility

The call tarrif webpage lists the various categories of premium rate numbers cover all sorts including for instance 0844 numbers.
However, it is not easy to find the correct cost as one needs to know the (bt) call charging category of the call.  This is actually not that easy to find on the bt website.
Suggestions for improvement of the plusnet website
1 at least give a hyperlink to allow one to determine the category
2 present the information bypassing categories (ie list by code rather than category) so it is easy to locate the correct cost and search could be used on the webpage.
3 personalise this so that the information presented is specific to the package/call plan of the user.
14 REPLIES 14
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Call Tarrif accessibility

There's some good links in this thread I started last November.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

wphil
Dabbler

Thanks but that doesn't seem to help.  Your original post in that topic supports lack of accessibility of the information.  The essential... link is just alternative tariffs according to plan/package.
One has to go outside of plusnet webspace to track down the category for the call to then return to plusnet to look up the charge.
I think my suggestions stand, I'd like plusnet to make it easier for me to work out the cost of 0844 891 xxx
Razer
Grafter

Obfuscation; it's the oldest business trick in the book. I wouldn't expect to see any changes if I were you.
James
Grafter

@wphill
You make a completely reasonable request.  I'm fairly certain that it will be something that we are looking at doing in the future, but at this exac moment in time it's not something that we are doing because there are other things that we are trying to do and we only have a limited number of developers to make this happen.
I'll make sure that your feedback is passed on.
wphil
Dabbler

I think that's a bit defeatist.  I think you are giving too much credit.  I'd rather think that bt created the category system for their own use without any thought of the end user and plusnet have not thought beyond this start point.
I'd like plusnet to take the opportunity to improve things for their customers.
It would be nice to see some support for my suggestion.
James
Grafter

You could check my post directly above yours.  Wink
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

In the meantime, perhaps someone could add this (as on the other thread) to a list of helpful links somewhere - until BT moves it, of course!
James
Grafter

I tend to use this one: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/assets/downloads/BT_PhoneTariff_SpecialNos.pdf
I think it's kept updated whereas I'm not sure if the other one is.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes James, but unless your prices are identical it could cause confusion to some customers. In any event, as if it would take more than 1 minute of a Developer's time to add a suitable link and 1 minute for a QA person to check it, or is typing and reading not in their TOR  Roll_eyes
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all, the creation of a telephone number > cost system wouldn't be too complex to create but it would be extremely intensive to update - telephone number ranges can be updated at any time, 7 days a week. Unless we could dedicate resource 24/7 to monitoring and updating such a tool, we would not be able to provide accurate prices to our customers which would defeat the object of the exercise.
Anotherone
Champion

Eh?
Plusnet provides a table of how much they charge for each Tariff (Charge) Band. New Charge Bands don't get created every week, never mind every day, and even if they were, you wouldn't be able to provide accurate prices for the reasons you've just given.
Blocks of numbers will be allocated to a particular Charge Band, and I don't believe that would be done daily either! So who is responsible for the allocation of particular blocks of numbers to a particular charge band? And who is responsible for maintaining such a list?
Plusnet isn't the only CP that would be affected by such things, all providers are!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Blocks of numbers can move between call bands on a daily basis. As it stands we allow our wholesaler (BT Wholesale) to maintain an accurate list and they apply the correct destination to the call when they send the information over to us. We choose not to maintain a mapping of number ranges and destinations at this time.
Anotherone
Champion

So who moves the blocks of numbers?
As far as the "mappings" go then, you should provide the link to the current list!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Multiple wholesale providers around the world sell and resell number blocks to different providers on a daily basis which changes the wholesale price and subsequent retail price.
I don't have a publicly available link to the listing I'm afraid.