Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Usage stats not available

vaper
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Broadband Usage stats not available

Hi there,

I have not been able to to access my Broadband Usage stats since the beginning of this month.

The usage page displays a message saying "Sorry, there's nothing to show at the moment"

Any advice, please, to get my usage stats back?

Plusnet broadband usage 10-02-2021.jpg

17 REPLIES 17
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Broadband Usage stats not available

VMBU has been withdrawn for quite some time now. Unless you have a limited/capped usage package. 

Are you on unlimited?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Thrall Looking at that screenshot, @vaper is still on a 10GB package. You don't see that on an Unlimited account.

@vaper - Why have you not re-contracted and switched to an unlimited deal - you are probably paying way over the odds for a restricted service?

John
vaper
Grafter

Hi Jab1 and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I do have a 10GB monthly usage cap.

The best broadband deals are usually for phone and broadband together but we phone abroad quite a lot so need a phone which charges low rates for these calls. At the moment, I think we are still better off to split phone and broadband over the long run (excluding one-off sign-up deals) but I am reviewing the situation all the time.

Regarding the loss of Broadband Usage stats, I have now raised a ticket with Plusnet Support. Hopefully it won't take too long to resolve.

Rod

jab1
Legend

OK @vaper I think I understand your reasoning, and if it works for you, fine.

Don't mean to worry you, but I have a feeling you may be waiting quite a while for a response to your ticket at the moment - my experience over the last few months is that CS are as rare as a blue moon.

John
vaper
Grafter

Yes, I did kinda get that impression from recent postings on the Community.

Fortunately, I have a little program called Networx which monitors most of my broadband data throughput. Unfortunately, this does not include the line overhead at around 7-10% nor does it include the other half's tablet use so we mostly keep that till after midnight. So I have a rough idea of usage but it's not ideal and I do rely on Plusnet's Usage stats to avoid further charges.

jab1
Legend

So long as you are aware, and have a partial solution. Thumbs_Up

John
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Hi @vaper   I too support your thought process underlying your product choice, but it is a legacy product and will eventually become unavailable (at least with its current expectations).  I liked the stats and was sad to see them go, but in practice I've not really missed them that much

[Personal view here 😉]

Collecting , collating and presenting those stats on the Portal was supported by a number of automated scripts'  As Network kit is enhanced and replaced these scripts need revision.  Not always easily doable!

I fear that a 'break point' may have been reached?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

vaper
Grafter

Hi, @MauriceC , I think you've probably hit the nail on the head there. The disappearance of Broadband Usage stats does seem to have coincided with a recent update to the site.

I did, however, recently receive a Plusnet marketing email offering upgrade options which did specifically say that if I was happy with my present services then I need not do anything. That being the case, I expect the Broadband Usage stats to be retained so that I am able to monitor my usage. Alternatively, I see a full-blown complaint being started.

For the moment, all I can do is await developments.

Rod

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@vaper wrote:

The best broadband deals are usually for phone and broadband together but we phone abroad quite a lot so need a phone which charges low rates for these calls. At the moment, I think we are still better off to split phone and broadband ...

Rod

Hi Rod,

Just because your phone line is with Plusnet does not mean that you have to use Plusnet to carry the chargeable phone calls.  Indirect Access call providers such as Call18866 - Home can be very inexpensive compared to BT's and Plusnet's out of bundle call charges.  There are other providers as well!  For example 18185's web site looks identical to 18866 but the connection charge is 1p cheaper.  There used to be lots of IA providers, but I cannot readily identify them now!

Also you do not need to use the phone line to communicate, there are lots of ways of staying in touch using free to use internet technologies - see How to make free or cheap international phone calls - Save the Student

Having both you phone and broadband services from the same supplier also eliminates issues of who is responsible when the broadband plays up.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

vaper
Grafter

Hi , thanks for your input.

I was using the 1899 prefix before I changed my phone provider but I noticed at the time that these were increasingly being barred. Indeed my current provider bars them but their standard prices are on a par with the prefix providers.

As I said earlier, I am keeping an eye on the situation.

Rod

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@vaper 

You could always use VoIP - cheaper than those pre-fix providers.

vaper
Grafter

With the pitiful broadband speed Plusnet is giving me (600kBytes/s max), I'm not sure that would work too well at the moment.

If I upgrade, that may be an option to try.

Rod

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

It will not be PlusNET giving you that, but BT Openreach. 600k BYTES sounds like 6+mbps which is enough for VOIP.

Suggest you raise a post on either ADSL or fibre boards as appropriate to see if there’s any room for improvement.

vaper
Grafter

The speed problem is, apparently, that I am a long way from my nearest exchange and at the moment I think it's an all copper connection. If I upgrade, I think I'll need a copper/fibre combi to the exchange.

As things stand, the 10GB monthly cap is sufficient for our email/surfing needs so there's no real hurry to upgrade until there's an obvious price advantage.

Rod