Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Usage Graphs - something's not right

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Broadband Usage Graphs - something's not right

http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml
There's something wrong with the Total traffic on the network graphs for WBC in that the maximum figures don't match the graph. E.g.

That's clearly peaking at over 12G but the Max in the totals below is nowhere near that. I'd guess that figures for some gateways are included in the graph but not the totals below. The 20CN IPSC graphs look OK.
What is also strange is the ratio of upload compared with download. Colindale WBC is a lot higher than Faraday WBC and both of them are much higher than the 20CN IPSC.
Here's the rest of the graphs:

20CN

NB All of the images in this post are links to the live graphs - not snapshots.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Broadband Usage Graphs - something's not right

I wonder if the uncapped uploads are having an effect on 21CN as opposed to 20CN but it does seem a bit extreme
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Many 20CN business users will be on Max Premium and there's the residential users like myself who pay the extra for the 832 kbps upload on Max Premium.
OK, with the uncapped uploads they will be faster, but I can't think of any reason why 21CN users should upload more data. If anything I'd have expected it to be the other way, data coming down faster and then discarded (e.g. YouTube videos not completely watched).
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I was thinking more about things like P2P which aren't speed limited on uploads
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What proportion of users use P2P? I'd suggest it's way, way lower than those who watch things like YouTube and iPlayer.
I'd also suspect the majority of users who were put on a capped upload don't know they can ask for it to be uncapped and I don't believe PN have been doing it without asking. It's not that long ago the policy changed to provision uncapped.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I can see a darker green line in the WBC graphs that corresponds to the numbers in totals - in the Colindale WBC graph it's just above the blue, in the Faraday WBC graph it's nearer the top of the green.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I suspect that's more to do with the way the graphing is done, rather than having any significance. I'm sure Kelly will put me right if that's not correct.
I wonder if the differences between the graph and the figures has something to do with the move to the new E100 Traffic Management platform?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I wondered that, but the IPSC connect graphs look right and some of that goes through E100's.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I hope Kelly and co. haven't forgotten the comments and suggestions in http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105696.0.html
prichardson
Grafter

Right,
There certainly is some oddness in the totals, so will look into the config tomorrow of those graphs.
Ejs is right, you will see some darker green lines, but these are not what is being reported on in the totals. These are actually image artefacts, as a result of the way multiple datasets are compiled together.
In unit form, the total value of the data sets combined is meant to be the text output, but in graphical form each data point is plotted, with the next point stacked on top. RRDtool causes these artefacts in the stacks display.
prichardson
Grafter

Morning all,
I have found the source of the problem with this graphing. It appears that the system that generates them is doing something odd with some of the values that are input.
The legend and values contained are accurate if my reading of RPN math is correct. It is certainly doing math against the correct data sets.
It is just the stacked lines in the graph that are incorrect. It seems to be double counting some data sources, and completely not mapping others. It's actually quite odd.
Problem 72160 has been raised on this.
In regards to the colours in the graph, it is configured to have a 60% "Opacity/Alpha Channel". The darker artifacts are the overlapping plots.