Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance graphs - they've changed!

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Performance graphs - they've changed!

Just went to look at the performance graphs and found they've significantly changed and are current (this is after months when most of them were not working).
Broadband usage
Network latency
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
19 REPLIES 19
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Performance graphs - they've changed!

Yep, thats right Jelv,
They carried out some work on the graphing system to improve things Smiley
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Embarrassed
I knew I forgot something.  Yeah, these were due to change as part of the e100 roll out.....  Don't rely on those yet.  I'll check next week how far through they are in roll out.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Kelly,
I was wondering if the Collated IPSC graphs were labelled correctly - "21CN"?
Also the note at the bottom (both pages) saying that the graphs are updated automatically every 30 minutes - I wonder whether it would be worth adding "but you will need to refresh your browser to see the updates" or similar.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The new way of graphing doesn't help you identify if you are on an overloaded gateway which is experiencing dropouts. Having (I think I've counted correctly) 76 graphs, one for each of the gateway/hostlink combination is not practical.
Two suggestions:
[list type=decimal]
  • Have a table with column headings of the queues and row headings of the gateway/hostlink and show the %age drops for each in the last half hour. This would be totally adequate for determining if you should try a gateway hop.

• Integrate the gateway lookup tool and have a button to click to get a graph for the current gateway. It would need the user to be logged in to the portal so that you could know if they were on WBC or IPSC. (This would mean you would have to generate all the graphs in the background).

• jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
    Kelly
    Hero

Quote from: Anotherone
    Hi Kelly,
    I was wondering if the Collated IPSC graphs were labelled correctly - "21CN"?
    Also the note at the bottom (both pages) saying that the graphs are updated automatically every 30 minutes - I wonder whether it would be worth adding "but you will need to refresh your browser to see the updates" or similar.

Well, I guess it's correct.  IPSC has all the 20CN customers on, taken over the 21CN connectivity Smiley
    I'll get someone to add the refresh bit.
    Kelly Dorset
    Kelly
    Hero

Quote from: jelv
    The new way of graphing doesn't help you identify if you are on an overloaded gateway which is experiencing dropouts. Having (I think I've counted correctly) 76 graphs, one for each of the gateway/hostlink combination is not practical.

Did the old one? Wink
    Yeah, there are a lot of end points now, which mean a lot of graphs.  Have pity on Dave, Phil, Matt and I. We need to interpret them every morning to work out how the day has been.
    Two suggestions:
    [list type=decimal]
  • Have a table with column headings of the queues and row headings of the gateway/hostlink and show the %age drops for each in the last half hour. This would be totally adequate for determining if you should try a gateway hop.

• Integrate the gateway lookup tool and have a button to click to get a graph for the current gateway. It would need the user to be logged in to the portal so that you could know if they were on WBC or IPSC. (This would mean you would have to generate all the graphs in the background).

• We have a graph for each end point, but it's a bit of a nightmare managing them and getting them out to where they need to be.  The first option sounds kinda perfect, but I don't know if we'll be able to do it, or actually get the time to implement.  Let me talk to the guys. 
    Kelly Dorset
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

Pre the 21CN host links the graphs showing the drops made it easy to see which gateways were overloaded. It's practically impossible on these new graphs.
    After I posted it occurred to me that two separate tables (one for WBC and one for IPSC) might be better.
    Kelly
    Hero

None of these graphs represent drops (dropped packets) at all.  We've got separate ones internally.  I'll see if we can put them out.  (again, it's hard because of so many end points)
    Kelly Dorset
    Anotherone
    Champion

As you say with all the end points it's almost impossible to interpret.
    How about possibly grouping the latency graphs by hostlink, each on a separate page eg. Faraday1, Faraday2, Colindale1..... etc
    So the current page gives a quick overview and has links to each hostlink page for each of the queues. Would that be easy to do if they are all separate graphs to start with?
    Apart from an IPSC and WBC split for drops as jelv has suggested, perhaps either tables or graphs ()whichever is easiest) could be on each of the hostlink pages.
    I'm thinking there wouldn't be too many end points on one graph/page that way and would be easier to interpret.
    avatastic
    Grafter

Pre the 21CN host links the graphs showing the drops made it easy to see which gateways were overloaded. It's practically impossible on these new graphs.

I was looking for these yesterday, a neighbour was only getting 1Mbit/s out of his 8Mbit line and I was getting my usual 7.15Mbit/s out of mine.
    I was hoping to see if there was a clogged gateway following the troubles BT had overnight Friday but find them I could not.
    I did think I was going a bit crazy  Crazy
    F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
    F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
    DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
    Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

Is latency any better than dropped packets at indicating an overloaded gateway? If it is putting that in the table would be better. The important point is that a table showing the last half hour will be easier t read that those charts to find what is happening on particular gateways.
    Is there any way a user can see whether he is on Faraday1/2/3/4, Colindale1/2/3/4?
    Anotherone
    Champion

PPP logs? But most users wouldn't know how to do that even if their modem/router had them. Could be something integrated into the Gateway lookup tool along the lines suggested earlier.
    (I'd guess I'm on Faraday1 as I'm on ptn-ag03 20CN, and it seems to be Faraday from watching the browser status bar when running the BT Beta Speedtest and Faraday1 is the only listed for ptn-ag03 - but that won't work for all of them!)
    paulmh5
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)

From an end user perspective I don't think there is any easy way for you to determine which you are connected into.  The area in question only deals with L2TP user sessions.
    Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

Can you see where we are connected into?