cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband USO

mattb2

Broadband USO

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a better broadband connection under the new 'Broadband USO' legislation that is coming into force in a few weeks time. I'm currently a Plusnet customer and I get around 6-7Mb connection, no fibre available and no 4G signal.

The Ofcom page (https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/broadband-uso-need-to-kno...) mentions:

"Legislation for the USO was brought in by the Government at the end of March 2018, and customers will be able to request a broadband USO connection directly from the designated universal service providers – BT and KCOM – from March 2020."

Does this mean I need to switch from Plusnet to BT? (reluctantly)
Or, can Plusnet request a USO connection from BT/Openreach on my behalf?
Or, as Plusnet is owned by BT, do I need to request the USO connection from Plusnet directly?

Thanks

Matt

7 REPLIES 7
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Broadband USO

You will have to wait for BT to publish details  of how to apply later this month. Only BT will provide USO connections (outside Hull), so Plusnet won't be involved (even though BT own them).

Wherever possible BT are likely to provide 4G, with an exterior antenna if necessary. It only needs to provide 10Mbps down 1Mbps up, so even a weak 4G signal will be enough for that.

The procedure will be that you apply, then BT will check your eligibility (no above USO service available, and none planned to become available in the next 12 months), and they will have 30 days to respond. If they offer you a USO connection and you accept it (and agree to pay any cost above £3400), they will aim to complete 80% of connections within 12 months - so it may not be a quick fix.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Plusnet Feedback.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Strat, what has this thread to do with Plusnet Feedback. Surely if ADSL isn't the right forum then "Everything Else"  would be the most appropriate?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@corringham the move was requested by Plusnet staff.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@corringham wrote:

If they offer you a USO connection and you accept it (and agree to pay any cost above £3400), they will aim to complete 80% of connections within 12 months - so it may not be a quick fix.

Who "assesses" the cost ?

and what proof will be provided to the effect that the costing is "above £3400 " .........before you agree  ? ? ? 

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@shutter wrote:
Who "assesses" the cost ?

My understanding is that BT will assess the cost - I don't know what evidence they will have to provide for costs above £3400, but I would expect it to be along the same lines as for FTTPoD (i.e. a detailed breakdown of labour and materials required)

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @mattb2

As BT are the USO provider you'd need to switch to them if they're able to offer you anything under the USO scheme

If you're still in contract at the moment you would be liable for any cancellation fees for exiting your minimum contract early.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team