Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing system falling apart - discuss

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Billing system falling apart - discuss

Visitors to the Usergroup forums may find the title of this topic familiar. Over a year ago I made this post
Quote from: jelv
I've had problems with billing and there are any number of topics on the Community forums where people are having billing problems. Just what is going on?
Problems seen:

• Incorrect calculation of prices after VAT reduction

• Credits being applied to account not actually reducing the next bill

• Direct debit setup problems

• Discounts not correctly given

• Double billing in one month

So what has improved in the last year? If anything we are seeing more problems than ever.
In January I started a poll. That had some pretty frightening answers. More than a third of the people voting had had some sort of billing problem in the past year. Just under a third had been overcharged and had to claim a refund (that could have been much reduced if PN had been swifter to correct and get money back in to people's accounts).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Billing system falling apart - discuss

Hi jelv,
Quote from: jelv
Incorrect calculation of prices after VAT reduction.

These problems were fixed to my knowledge and are now somewhat of a non-issue given the fact that VAT has returned to it's former rate.
Credits being applied to account not actually reducing the next bill

I'm not aware of any instances where this is happening at the moment, so human error aside I wouldn't expect to see any. Are you aware of any recent examples?
Direct debit setup problems

Again, I don't know of any problems with Direct Debit creation aside from where a customer provides us with the wrong account details.
Discounts not correctly given

You'd probably have to elaborate on this a little. The discount tool itself works fine although I know there have been some issues with introductory discounts for affiliate offers and the like.
Double billing in one month

That's a more recent problem that I believe may still under investigation by our developers.
I'd suggest having a glance over the post here from Fletch if you haven't done already.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Bob,
You've missed the point. A year ago I was saying that the billing system and associated processes were in a bad way with a lot of complaints on the forums, today the number of complaints about billing being posted on the forums is if anything even higher. I was not quoting the post from a year ago to say all the same problems were present; I'm saying that a year on the overall state of the billing system and processes is poor.
Don't forget that a measure of a company is how well it responds to problems and rectifies them. Another measure if if having had a problem they make sure it doesn't happen again (think of the postings we've seen from Thomas (Be3G) about his recurring billing problems). At the moment I'd suggest that a score of 1 or 2 out of 10 on these aspects would be being very generous.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

And Fletch seem to be admitting that we have had numerous problems since early 09
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

see this posting.....
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84644.0.html
Which underlines what Jelv and Pierre have already said......
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Didn't Bob link to that thread earlier on

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well I may be  the only one NOT having billing issues  Roll_eyes Been on Unlimited for a year now and no problems (waits for it all to go horribly wrong now  :-\)
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: pjmarsh
Didn't Bob link to that thread earlier on

yes, but his reference point was what Fletch had to say...... ... ... ... ...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just been looking at my last years bills,  My first problem was when the changed the home phone in Feb 09, they got the added extras wrong and were charging me the princely sum of £0.97 to much, took three refund payments from JH before an Agent woke up in the early hours and thought I may be on the wrong account,  that took another refund of £14.96 in Aug, then in November I was doubled billed £10.95, another refund
the first £14.96 taken on 28 Aug, money back 9 Sept.  The Second £10.95 taken 30 Nov, back on 8 Dec.  But only as I do check all PN statements
Oh and I forgot, they also forgot a reduced payment plan in Jan 09 total £11.66 refunded.
Most could have been stopped if we had the correct time to complain before payment taken