Did you mean: 

Bereavement in Help and Support

FIXED
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Bereavement in Help and Support

When it happened to me, hopefully this will be of use to someone:

We had to go a library for the death certificate, I think you get one free and pay around £4 for each additional original you want. We just went for 10, and paid £35ish for the other 9.

My mum and dad had a joint bank account. So for people who do, we just wrote to the bank enclosing an original certificate. This was Lloyds, but I assume its similar for other banks. The posted the certificate back and changed the account into a single account (sent a new cheque book with just my mum's name on it).

The BT account was in my dads name so we phoned them to change it to mums. Luckily (and thank you to the Community Forums as I wouldn't be aware of this), I was a bit worried as I read years ago changing name would kill the broadband? I enquired about this on the phone and they said it wouldn't and luckily it hadn't. Maybe times have changed now.

PlusNet account is in my name, and I haven't changed it as no need really. Direct Debit is to their account, as I get to do the IT stuff round there and it was me who applied for it as I was living there at time. I've got a year in mind Shocked That long ago.

Had to help arrange a funeral - not nice. Won't go into detail but happy to talk on PM's about it. Should keep that off forum I think as it is not nice/family friendly to be on forum to be honest.

Can't think of anything else to say at moment. It's not a nice thing to think about I know and not the most pleasant reading, but it something that comes up you just have to deal with. Then you naturally get nervous (as you do with anything you haven't done before) as to whether you're doing it right. I was, I assume the OP is too when starting this thread.

WS1990
Dabbler

On the other hand I am indirectly affected as a relative by marriage has died (who had a PN broadband service) and consequently a direct family member will need to sort out things.

What progress has been, made? is the help item mentioned all that there is?!

Regards

WS

Anonymous
Not applicable

If an account is held in a single name, when the executor contacts the account/utility/service provider then you will almost always find that from the instant you mention "died" that the account is immediately closed, and from that moment on you are starting a NEW provision of the utility/service, or in the case of a financial account it is locked until either a will or grant of representation can be produced.

You have to be really careful when dealing with landline accounts, as BT (for example) will transfer the account to the spouse only by a cease and re-provide !.  Therefore there are costs with "cease" and "provide", and there is a small risk you could lose your telephone number if the process has any hiccups.

Because the surviving spouse is now on a new provision, BT will lock you into a new 12/18/24 month contract, which you might not want if for example you need to sell the house to pay inheritance tax, etc.

Fortunately with landline and broadband, there is now the simple solution of "gaining provider led" migration.

The easiest solution is to find another provider that suits your ongoing needs, contract or not, and simply ask them to migrate the service associated with the telephone number, to yourself (the new account holder) using your bank/card details for payments.  There is no need for the existing broadband/telephone provider to communicate with the account holder (i.e. the deceased), and a migration should be less problematic than a cease/re-provide.

Another tip, migrate the telephone/broadband service BEFORE you tell the deceased bank, so that the final bill on the service gets paid before the bank account gets locked from making payments, otherwise you may get threatening letters because the final bill was unpaid because the direct debit was cancelled, and an associated black mark on the credit score at your address.

Wink

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"and an associated black mark on the credit score at your address."

Just to be clear on this. Any "black mark" is not associated with an address, only to an individual.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Anonymous wrote:

If an account is held in a single name, when the executor contacts the account/utility/service provider then you will almost always find that from the instant you mention "died" that the account is immediately closed, and from that moment on you are starting a NEW provision of the utility/service, or in the case of a financial account it is locked until either a will or grant of representation can be produced.

IIRC this is one of the specific circumstances under which Plusnet WILL permit the change of name on an existing account / contract to another family member ... unless things have changed recently.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

also many organisations allow joint account holders - my power supplier for example - and direct debits from joint accounts just carry on unlike Plusnet

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

well power suppliers and mobile phone operators have Modern Billing systems Funny

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend

what it does entail - or would if I snuff it first - is for my better half to set up a new direct debit and don't advise Plusnet until things have setted down

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Oldjim wrote:

... and don't advise Plusnet until things have setted down

or at least wait until your Line Rental Saver had expired, as Plusnet will NEVER pro-rata refund that.  Crazy

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi all, sorry for the  late response.

Firstly I recognise that this is an incredibly difficult time for anyone going through this and as such our process are designed to be as stress free as possible but I do recognise that we don't always get it right.

If the account holder is deceased we may ask for a copy of the death certificate once we've received this then the following options are available

• Complete closure of the account, waiving all fees and refunding of any unused months Line Rental Saver payments.
  • Transferring of the account to an immediate family member

I hope that goes some way to answering your questions and for anyone experiencing this I'd be happy for them to PM me and I'll resolve it myself.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Appreciate the answer - which is how I understood it to work - but it doesn't address the opening point

Why isn't it documented on the website and accessible via the Search function

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Fix

@Oldjim wrote:

Why isn't it documented on the website and accessible via the Search function

Hi @Oldjim,

I raised this internally the moment I saw your original post. Our Legal team are working with the Digital team to create an article for the /help part of our website and I am keeping an eye on the task that I raised internally where this work will be done. Currently, if you search for 'bereavement' in the search on Help it will provide some text and ask you to call a number to make arrangements for the account in question. I didn't feel that this was enough information to be perfectly honest which is why I agree that there needs to be more information on our support pages about a subject as sensitive as this.

When the article has been created and is ready to publish on the website, I shall let you know where to find it.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no need for the existing broadband/telephone provider to communicate with the deceased, ...

Does PN (or any of the others) have the technology to do that?

WS1990
Dabbler

Hi;

As mentioned a close relative is currently having to deal with this situation now in respect of another close relative, formerly a PN Acc holder. What is the information? although as below I feel it is to do with PN's policy on the matter. My relative needs to understand exactly what they are getting themselves into before they contact PN. 

I know utilities and BB s accept transfers to someone other than the deceased and the terms just give PN the right to terminate,  so at present anyone dealing with a deceased customer's affairs will have no  sense of what options PN may grant.  For example  the standard T and C suggest that even where PN do opt to terminate the service they would not do so immediately as there is  risk to neither PN, nor its customers

16. Our right to suspend your service or end our agreement
…………………
16.1.7. in the event of your bankruptcy or death;

……………………

And
16.2. We'll normally give you 14 days' prior notice before suspending or stopping providing our services (and/or ending our agreement) and work to resolve any issues with you. However, we may not do this if there is a real risk of loss or harm to us or our other customers (for example, where there is a reasonable suspicion of fraud or other abuse).

PN must know what  policy  exists as front line staff will need to be guided by something presumably.

It would be good to have feedback tomorrow.

ps Here is what one of your competitors say and do, which seems approriate and sensitive to the situation.

'Our bereavement team
We understand that handling the affairs of a friend or relation who has passed away is a difficult undertaking so we try to make the process as easy as possible.

Please contact us (free from a (deleted)) phone and ask to speak to the Bereavement team. You will be transferred to our dedicated team who will be able to assist you in changing the owner or closing the account.

Please have the account details and name of the account holder to hand when you call.

We do not need a copy of the death certificate.'

Look forward to a reply

Regards WS1990

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing that almost every other company does is have an easily found specific phone number to call their dedicated "Bereavement Team", and from experience that phone number gets answered within TWO rings, the person you talk to is ready to speak sympathetically to a grieving caller, and you NEVER get your call passed between departments.  As a grieving spouse, you don't want to be calling the "Customer Options Team" who's entire purpose is to try and hard sell you a deal to make you stay, staffed by sales people presumably paid on commission, who possibly don't have your best interests in mind during your time of loss.

Can you imagine the pain of a grieving spouse phoning Plusnet ?  Shocked

First you have to struggle to navigate the Plusnet website to make a guess at which phone number you should be calling.  Then waiting an interminable time in a call wait queue, listening to blaring music and inane advise to manage your account online, then to get through to the usual poorly trained and uncaring call centre staff, who then either make up the rules as they go along (because they don't know the procedure), or they transfer your call back into the general call pool, only for the next unsuspecting operator with no self-initiative to make an equal hash of an unsympathetic service.

No thanks !  Crazy2

Seriously, if you are out of contract, doing the "gaining provider led" migration, can all be done online in minutes.

You will probably get a better deal elsewhere that better suits your ongoing needs, and can take advantage of any introductory offers from the new provider.

Job done, money saved, and no stress and anger from trying to talk to Plusnet's call centre. Thumbs_Up