Did you mean: 

At my wits end......

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: At my wits end......

Morning Chris,
The RAS is the connection to BT's authentication platform and is the first hop on the ADSL network after the ATM connection.
There has been a couple of PPP drops but not may over the last day, this can be normal so unless you have any other concerns I would say that we'd be best continuing to keep an eye on things for now.
PS let me know how things go with the new router.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

That works for me adam... lets see how things go for a week or so.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We are now seeing a session of just over 46 hours in duration following 2 drops yesterday. Please let us know how things are from your point of view.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Will check out the stats when I get home later Adam, but looking at things at the min, it all seems to have settled down.  Hopefully this time its all sorted.  Now time to get a new router, so I can connect in the other PCs.  Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Ok Adam, had 2-3 sync drops at around 12:35 today, and one more at around 15:03.  unsure why, we have had no phone calls since the BT works were done.  Encouragingly, the resyncs were at normal levels, with no instance of attenuation rises, or sync speed drops....  Anything your end to indicate why sync might have dropp
Current Stats
Link Information

Uptime:  0 days, 4:22:56
DSL Type:  G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:                      888 / 6.137
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]:  718,00 / 1,94
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:  13,0 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  24,0 / 45,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  2,5 / 12,0
I have noted upstream sync seems to drop quite alot as well....  no idea why.  Downstream SNR seems very stable.
Anyhow, lets just keep an eye on things, and keep the ticket open for a bit yet.....
Chris
Apprentice
Grafter

Some of the router stats look a bit unusual, unless it's something to do with being on DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A  Tongue
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:  13,0 / [b]0,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  2,5 / 12,0
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi  i think thats  a firmware bug TBH. It seemed to work ok on ADSL1.... the upstream frc crc errors look odd as well....
penfold
Aspiring Pro

TBH the upstream margins also worry me a little.  It synced upstream with a margin of 9dB. not too alarmed, but its a little concerning the upstream is going down, but downstream stays stable.....
The output power, I am sure is a router bug.. See the error count below.....  again possible a router bug....
With regards the router, the Dg834PN looks quite nice, but as I only need a simple router, as we only really surf and e-mail, whats the TG585V7 like from PlusNet.....  I was a little put off by their test router, as it kept doing warm kernal restarts, but the parents TG585V7 seems pretty stable....
nadger
Rising Star

From preference I use my old Thomson ST576 and your set of stats, again from a Thomson, do look weird.
I'm not on ADSL2 but do get a high errors count with a stable connection - current uptime is 45 days.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Chris,
Gutted to hear that you've started to have problems with this again.  I can't state what might be causing the drops that we're seeing. Can you let me know which router you are connecting with at the moment?
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi Adam.
Not really a problem I thought.  I am getting the odd sync drops here and there, but I always resync with a normal speed and attenuation for me, resyncs always seem to be in the middle of the night..... Checked last night, and all seemed OK, wife was hammering the internet, with no issues.  I am not really too bothered over the odd resync here and there, as long as I sync back at normal speeds.  Unsure as to why the upstream SNR drops so much, maybe a router issue.....  Will reconnect the 2wire tonight, and see what that shows.  Currently using a Speedtouch 585V6.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, no probs. Thanks for letting me know. I'd be interested to see if the SNR changes or the drops decrease when you switch to the 2wire.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Unfortunately, I was incorrect in my assumptions Adam....  it appears the instability has returned together with the poor upstream syncs, and the increase in line attenuation.  Again I note that it  has been wet the last few days.  Can we re-raise with BT and get a ground engineer out, like the last engineer suggested.  I must admit the instability is nowhere near as bad, but its starting again.....  Its also odd that the upstream SNR has stayed stable, but sync is very poor....
Whats the next move?Huh
Current syncs are below.....  I will fire up the 2wire router later on, but I think i should get a new one.  What are the TG585s like on longer lines?? Can you send me a new one, and I will defer the charges, and pay the P and P.  Also how quick can you get me one.....
Cheers
Chris
My wife has just mentioned, that we have had a calls today, starting around 11:15.  For some reason the router logs dont go back this far, do this call tally up with sync drops??, it was around 11:15,
and she was on for around 1/2hr
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Any background noise on the phone?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi jelv...
Yes there is, just done a quiet line test again, and there is a very faint hiss, very much like when you put a sea-shell to your ear, its very quiet, but there.....  Shame this ALWAYS goes away when BT turf up  Angry  Odd, 1 BT engineer told us when the hiss comes, ring the phone, and let the answer machine record the hiss, but the next engineer to arrive told us that was utter rubbish, and they cant tell anything from that.... Argggg it just make me want to tear my hair out ( whats left anyhow Wink )
Did you see my edit to the post above?