cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plusnet or Forum Mods censoring posts?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Are Plusnet or Forum Mods censoring posts?

See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.540.html ; and posts #545 onwards. Seems out of character, unless PN's big brother is watching. Shocked
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Are Plusnet or Forum Mods censoring posts?

nope, two posts were removed. one was a personal attack to another forum member and the other was a reply that.
there was nothing in either post that added to thread or criticism of PN.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
chrcoluk
Grafter

interesting you count it as a personal attack.  I have had much more rude things said to myself without mod intervention. The person in question does indeed seem to be getting special attention from the mods on here.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Lips_are_sealed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

They are indeed applying censorship for a number of reasons.  We live in an age where one can no longer speak as one sees, no matter how nicely it is said.  Even where something is evidently true, if someone can find a non-PC spin, it will be censored, with out any discussion of the facts or merit of the statement.
Personal attacks are never to be tolerated, but "blanket" PC censorship needs to be resisted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The posts that were removed, in my opinion, had no merit nor furthered the threads they were posted in.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

While I can see that it is sometimes necessary to remove posts I strongly feel that simply deleting them is wrong.
Please consider a process where post content is replaced by a message along the lines of "Post deleted due to <reason>" so at least it's clear that a moderator has taken action rather than just 'disappearing' the offending content.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

the issue with that is that there is way then to review what has been removed.
Currently they are placed in a hidden forum for other moderators / staff to review and not deleted.
Chris (above) has reviewed the removed posts, if there was feeling that the moderators had been too heavy handed then they could be placed back in the thread.
just deleting the text wouldn't allow for that.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The advantage of the present system is that the post isn't deleted but removed to a hidden board where other mods and indeed staff can see it
This means that it is also possible to reinstate the removed post and also quote from it in a PM to the author if so desired
Editing it as suggested permanently removes all evidence of what was there before
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

And remember that the mods don't get paid, discounted bills etc for doing this. So keeping things as quick and simple as possible is ideal really.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Townman
They are indeed applying censorship for a number of reasons.  We live in an age where one can no longer speak as one sees, no matter how nicely it is said

you are confusing the right to freedom of speech and the right to be heard.
you are free to say whatever you like, however you do not have the right to force people to listen to you.
when you come to any forum (or similar group) then you have the right say anything you want providing it is within the rules of the forum.
if you feel any forum does not match your interpreted right to say what you want then you go elsewhere.