cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any other Plusnet Value customers experiencing REALLY slow speeds?

bulbasaur

Hi there,
I moved over from Tiscali to Plus.net - I did not like how the service seemed to go downhill after Talk Talk bought them over.
Had no problems with Plus.net, and have been with them so far for about 2 months now.
However!
Tonight and last night, I have noticed seriously slow speeds when using my broadband during off peak (midnight onwards). And when I say slow, I mean 15kb - 20kb (peak) speeds. I have a network monitor application which shows me in real time, my network traffic (upload and download). The download speed for these past 2 nights has never gone over the 20kb mark. Running an online broadband speed scanner, I get 0.08 - 0.1mb/s.
Am I being capped? Even for a capping this seems OTT. Just a note: I don't use torrent - or do any heavy downloading - and don't consider myself a 'heavy' internet user, so I'm not sure if / why Plus.net would choose to cap my speeds.
Unless this is an issue with congestion, is anyone else experiencing anything like this?
7 REPLIES 7
bulbasaur

Re: Any other Plusnet Value customers experiencing REALLY slow speeds?

- I should probably mention, I've done numerous router reboots, disconnect / reconnects and yes, my broadband is secured. I use MAC filtering, and only my machine appears on the logs.
bulbasaur

Strange - just as I finish posting this, my speeds seem to have gone back up? Perhaps the cap expires after 2am or something? I know its very late and I should be sleeping but I have to catch up on my Pokemon!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: bulbasaur
- I should probably mention, I've done numerous router reboots, disconnect / reconnects and yes, my broadband is secured. I use MAC filtering, and only my machine appears on the logs.

hope you havnt been doing those reboots in the evening, it will kill you synch speed and then your profile, and too many BT will think you have a bad line and clamp you
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Hundreds of users kick off downloads at midnight to take advantage of the off peak period. Speeds take a dip for around an hour or so, but as peoples downloads finish speeds recover.
Edit: This is the live graph that can be seen at http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml

Notice the jump in P2P at midnight - it looked very high last night.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TicnTac
Grafter

Grin yes for about 7 months  Roll_eyes
15kb - 20kb
  Shocked I could dream I suppose!
sorry, but I just had to Wink
Grin
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry Tim,
Not doing this to show you up I just want people to be aware that most of your issue was caused by an intermittent connection fault, the full story can be found on this thread:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88371.0.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TicnTac
Grafter

Roll_eyes
Grin