Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Annoying Email

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Another Annoying Email

What a great offer as I'm a PN Mobile customer for cheap broadband and phone line.

Oops - I'm already a broadband customer so it doesn't apply to me. You'd think it would be straightforward to check the email list against the customer list instead of just spamming everyone. But it's nice to know what wonderful deals my full price subscription is subsidising. Gives me a warm glow - not!

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another Annoying Email

On a similar theme, I just received a personalized letter from Plusnet (with my name and username).

It tells me that if I'm paying more than £26.49 for broadband + landline then I should recontract for 12 months to get that price.  The letter makes no reference to high cost or low cost areas, but the enclosed advert flyer says "FROM £26.49".

I believe that £26.49 is for unlimited ADSL and 12 month Line Rental Saver - in a LOW COST area.

I'm in a HIGH COST area, so I'm assuming that this offer doesn't apply to me,

especially knowing that the retentions department don't do offers on HIGH COST area 20CN connections.

Why annoy existing customers with targeted offers that don't apply ?

As you say -

@quelquod wrote:

Oops - ... ... it doesn't apply to me.
You'd think it would be straightforward to check the ... ... list against the customer list instead of just spamming everyone.

And no, I'm not going to call and see if I can get that offer, as I already have a great deal on my landline+calls elsewhere,  and I'm just waiting for my exchange to be upgraded from 20CN ADSL so that I can migrate my broadband to another company that has a range of features that Plusnet can't supply - including traffic prioritization that works !.

Crazy

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Nibiru wrote: 

especially knowing that the retentions department don't do offers on HIGH COST area 20CN connections.

@Anonymous They do offers for high cost 20CN connections. I have negotiated plenty of them, although PN give one the cheapest overall offers (nationwide) for line, calls, and broadband by any ISP through the John Lewis brand.

You get :

Landline
Caller ID
Evening and weekend calls
unlimited broadband
Free Setup
Free router ( free p&p)

£ 22.50 a month, 12-month contract. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I accept your point about being able to get better offers in high cost areas by switching to John Lewis, but that is not what I was offered in the Plusnet letter.

I suspect that the targeted letter is misleading because Plusnet know that I'm in a high cost area and the deal appears to be what is currently offered only in low cost areas.

I also don't dispute that it used to be possible to negotiate high cost 20CN retentions, but in the last year 20CN connections are reported as being no longer economically viable to sell (at a comparable price to ADSL2), and many ISPs are reluctant to take on new customers connected to 20CN exchanges.  So it's not really a surprise that there have been many reports of 20CN Plusnet customers being told that there is no deal available.

chrisc
Aspiring Pro

Hi @Anonymous,

It tells me that if I'm paying more than £26.49 for broadband + landline then I should recontract for 12 months to get that price.  The letter makes no reference to high cost or low cost areas, but the enclosed advert flyer says "FROM £26.49".

I believe that £26.49 is for unlimited ADSL and 12 month Line Rental Saver - in a LOW COST area.

And no, I'm not going to call and see if I can get that offer, as I already have a great deal on my landline+calls elsewhere

A couple of comments from me on this one.

This was a targeted campaign at existing Plusnet phone only customers [we have a handful of them for various reasons]. The price presented in the email was the high cost area price so was correct and applicable to you. We also had a low are cost version that was sent to customers in those areas.

Whenever we are contacting existing customers [given we know what Market Area they are in] we promote the correct price that is available to them.

The reason that this email says 'from £26.49' is because we talk about calling plans within the email and the journey and the landing page then promotes calling plans to be bolted on. Given this, we've used 'from' as the £26.49 price is for broadband and line rental only. 

We don't always use 'from' when we are talking to existing customers and presenting the correct price for them but given the content of this email and the inclusion of call plans we opted for that approach.

That said, the email was obviously confusing so I'll have a chat with the team to see if it can be made clearer.

Chris