cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being ripped off...???

pudsi

Am I being ripped off...???

I have contacted PlusNet about this issue (only today, so no reply yet) but I thought I'd have a rant here and find out what I can...
I have been a PlusNet Customer for over 6 years. For the whole of that period I have paid £39.99 per month for my Broadband Service (which equates to over £3,000).  I have been on the PlusNet web site today (I hardly ever visit it or use my PlusNet email) and spotted some very cheap Broadband options are available (cheap compared to what I am currently paying). I mentioned it to two chaps at work who I knew were also with PlusNet and they couldn't believe how much I am paying (that's putting it politely - are can't quote what they said here for fear of being arrested...).
I have looked on the PlusNet Web Site and I can't see any existing residential plans that cost anywhere near what I am being charged - in fact the most expensive (that I can see) is £15.99 per month - THAT'S £24 PER MONTH LESS THAN I AM CHARGED!!!!!
Anyone think that I am being ripped off?
42 REPLIES 42
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Am I being ripped off...???

Surely it's your responsibility to check that you are getting the best value for money. as with anything such as your car insurance?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pudsi

Right, so it's fair for PlusNet to charge two different people two different prices for the same serviceis it? If I go to Tesco's and the Apples are on offer then surely they are on offer for EVERYBODY? I would not expect to get to the till and be told "Sorry Sir, you're an existing customer so the price you must pay for those Apples is higher than everyone else".... I think not!!!
adie:quote
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

There is nothing stopping you changing products for the cheaper products if it suits your needs.
My mobile supplier doesn't put me on the cheapest tariff, I have to hunt it out myself.
As regards to your apple analogy it is flawed because all customers taking the product this week pay this weeks price.
You buy a car for 10k next week it's reduced to 9k can you demand a refund of 1k because it's cheaper? No.
Can you buy the car for 9k, yes.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mal0z
Grafter

Have you turned off emails from Plusnet
"I would prefer not to receive electronic communications about the special offers, promotions and services available from
"Please be aware that these communications may include offers that will lower the cost of your Internet access. We advise you to check the portal website regularly for the latest announcements. "PlusNet"

to turn it back on:
Go to your Member Centre | Email Settings | Email Communications preference
pudsi

With respect, your Car analogy is flawed and is a totally different issue. When I pay my money to PlusNet on the first of each month for a service I receive that month, then the money I paid last month for a service I received last month is nothing to do with it.
I am on a particular plan with PlusNet, and, if the price of that plan changes then I expect to pay the changed rate BECAUSE I AM ON THAT PLAN. Get it??? Last month my Building Soceity reduced it's interest rate on the Mortgage Plan that I am on. Did I have to ring them up and ask for the reduction? Of course not - I am on the plan that got reduced so the reduction was passed to me. Over the course of 6 years the cost of my plan with PlusNet has been reduced but I have not been passed that reduction EVEN THOUGH I AM A MEMBER OF THE PLAN THAT GOT REDUCED. That is my gripe. To say that it's my responsibilty to check if the cost of my plan has changed and act on it is ludicrous.
With regard to your car purchase, you're paying for the car in full, today, at today's price.
You said, "As regards to your apple analogy it is flawed because all customers taking the product this week pay this weeks price." I agree! All customers taking the apples this week at Tesco's pay this weeks price. But not all of Plus Nets customers taking the "apples" this week are paying the same price - I am living proof of that.
mal0z
Grafter

Presumably you are on a variable rate mortgage ?.
The Plusnet ADSL access isn't a variable rate product
James
Grafter

Hi Pudsi,
It has always been our policy not to force customers from one product to another.
If you feel that you are paying too much for your product than you are more than welcome to change.  We have sent a number of emails regarding our lease of broadband your way and then the release of our latest broadband products to all of our customers that have opted in to the email that we send out.
The pricing on your particular product has not changed.  It has always been £39.99 (barring a small change in VAT).
pudsi

I'm not being funny James but with respect, it's not in the companies interest to "force" me from a plan costing £39.99 to one that costs £15.99 is it?
If my plan has always cost £39.99 then why can I not find it on the PlusNet web site?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

The problem lies in the fact that Plusnet still supports it "legacy" products, it does not FORCE you to move to a new product when it is released. I don't know what product you are on, but it will NOT be what is currently available to new users, they now only offer 3 products, Value, Unlimited, and (one other whose name eludes me).
I used to be on BBYW Option 3 @ 19.95/month, now I could STILL be on that and still paying the same money, because they have not forced me to change, or I could be on Value and paying £11.99/month or what I have done and switched to Unlimited, same money but no limits other than bandwidth limiting from 12pm-12am.
There is nothing wrong with the product you are on (I assume?) and if it offers a better service than is allowed on the current products then you DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE, other than to save money, they are not saying that you must stay on your current product, which would be a rip off IF the one of the new products was the same as it, but all the new products have limits, bandwidth limiting or a set download amount, which I can only assume that will be different to your current product/service.
I.e. you cannot say that the Organic bananas are more expensive than ordinary ones and so are a rip off, they are a different product, both banana's but different.
mal0z
Grafter

I presume that as a Legacy product that goes back six years - it must be deep down in the pile as there have been many changes since then one would presume.
itsme
Grafter

That long ago it will be a fixed speed product, better not let the OP know that he also lost out on higher speeds.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Some time ago my company received broadband from a different ISP. When we took out the contract the price was £79.99 per month.
During the 2 years we were with them the price dropped to £30 per month but not for us.
When I contacted the ISP they told me that in order to get the price down they would have to do a cease and re-provide which would mean no broadband for up-to 14 days.
We changed to Plusnet.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mal0z
Grafter

Same when I was with Pipex ( even before sell of to Tiscali ) - new products weren't available at all to existing customers unless you cancelled and rejoined.
I was paying £25 a month for 2M
That's why I looked around and eventually came to PN
Be3G
Grafter

On which note it's important to point out that the product the OP's on - which I'm presuming to be Premier Option 3 - doesn't even have a current direct equivalent, which is why PN would be reluctant to shoehorn people on to the current product range. Crucially, Option 3 provides more lenient traffic shaping than the £16 'unlimited' package, whilst still providing unlimited usage between midnight and 4pm.