cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being ripped off?

savhtc
Dabbler

Am I being ripped off?

I recently signed up for the TV trials but was told I wasn't eligible because.... 
"Thanks for applying to take part in our TV Trials.
Unfortunately you have been unsuccessful in your application to be trialist as you need to be a subscriber of Plusnet Unlimited Fibre to trial our TV service.
Thank you for your interest and please keep an eye out on our community site for further updates about our TV launch.
Regards
TV Trials Team

Here is a copy of my most recent bill...
"1 Call charge - 28/01/2014 £8.21
1 Plusnet Extra Fibre charge 28/01/2014 27/02/2014 £19.99
1 Call Plan charge 28/01/2014 27/02/2014 £0.00
1 Talk Evenings & Weekends Line Rent charge 28/01/2014 27/02/2014 £14.99
So I am paying £19.99 for fibre + £14.,99 line rental with no free calls & I'm not unlimited.  I waiting on the phone to CS to cancel my contract as I type this.  New customers are treated better. Sad
Andrew
14 REPLIES 14
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Am I being ripped off?

It seems you're on a fairly old product:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet-extra-archive.shtml
You are able to transfer to a new product but you'll start a new minimum term contract.  It's probably worth talking through your choices with the Customer Options Team.
BTW Your phone service has free evening and weekend calls
savhtc
Dabbler

I hadn't bothered to check on my product as it works fine & I was happy with it, but I'm not happy about paying too much.  I phoned CS and was told I can move to the £19.99 unlimited but I have noticed that new customers get a discount for 9 months.  So to add to my annoyance that I pay unlimited prices for a limited product I now find that new customers have been getting the unlimited for even less.  I asked to cancel my contract but have been told its not possible at this time of night and to call back tomorrow. 
Time to look for another deal.
Andrew
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The Customer Options (aka Cancellations) team works 0900-2000
Residential cancellations
0845 140 6002
0330 123 9197
Monday to Friday: 9.00am - 8.00pm (Except Bank Holidays)
Saturday: 9.00am - 5.30pm
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@savhtc
Do you never check around when it comes to time to renew your car or home insurance? Do you never look at the possibility of switching energy suppliers? If you have savings do you never look to see if you can get a better interest rate elsewhere? Do you never check for a better deal on credit cards?
Have you opted out from communications from Plusnet which would tell you about the new accounts? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=modifyMailOptions
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
savhtc
Dabbler

Thanks for that!  I do shop for home & car insurance but they tend to be more personal services,  but point taken.  Its a shame we are expected to switch providers every 1.5 years especially as I am using my own router etc.   Looks like Talktalk have a good deal for a lot less than I am paying now.
Andrew
dick:quote
Mav
Fixes: 515

I moved to Talk Talk in 2012 and did save a fair whack during my time there (9 months) but once the savings had been made I couldn't wait for them to increase their prices so I could use my 'get out of contract' clause. I returned to the PN fold towards the end of 2012 and have since signed up for a further 2 years Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Best bet might be to confirm the deal available from TalkTalk then call Customer Options to say you're intending to leave because you can get 'xyz' services for £x.xx and see what they're prepared to do.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There should be no need to contact TalkTalk to check the deal price. Just give the Customer Options Team a call and ask. As mentioned above they are available on 0845 140 6002 or  0330 123 9197 (or via 0800 432 0200 cancellations) Monday to Friday 9.00am - 8.00pm (except Bank Holidays) and Saturday 9.00am - 5.30pm.

David
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Andrew,
I hope you've managed to get in touch with our Customer Options Team to discuss your account moving forward.
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: savhtc
I hadn't bothered to check on my product as it works fine & I was happy with it

This is the golden sentence. Moving to TalkTalk or another provider could potentially give you plenty of headaches.
Move to the Unlimited product and if you manage to haggle a bit of discount then count it as a bonus.
I'll continue to pay my £20 ish a month while I get the good connection, good service and static IP. I can't find anyone else who can offer or better what I get for less than I'm paying and even then I don't mind paying a small premium for that peace of mind.
I did however break that rule a few weeks ago with my mobile and moved from PAYG on Virgin to a 2 year contract on Orange. I've had nothing but issues with them so far and have spent hours chasing them trying to resolve issues with their systems. In fact, if I invoiced them for my lost time, I'd have my 2 year contract with them paid for ......
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"1  Call charge  -  28/01/2014  £8.21"
If this is a usual charge every month, or normally more than £5, then you could possible save a bit by taking out "Anytime Calls" at £5/month?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Depends how much of it is non included calls such as to mobiles
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Exactly, hence "could possible".
Should read possibly! Embarrassed
savhtc
Dabbler

Quote from: DomS
Quote from: savhtc
I hadn't bothered to check on my product as it works fine & I was happy with it

This is the golden sentence. Moving to TalkTalk or another provider could potentially give you plenty of headaches.
Move to the Unlimited product and if you manage to haggle a bit of discount then count it as a bonus.
I'll continue to pay my £20 ish a month while I get the good connection, good service and static IP. I can't find anyone else who can offer or better what I get for less than I'm paying and even then I don't mind paying a small premium for that peace of mind.
I did however break that rule a few weeks ago with my mobile and moved from PAYG on Virgin to a 2 year contract on Orange. I've had nothing but issues with them so far and have spent hours chasing them trying to resolve issues with their systems. In fact, if I invoiced them for my lost time, I'd have my 2 year contract with them paid for ......

People on the Sky forum said the same when I told them I was moving to plusnet.  My parents are with Talk Talk and are very happy..  Anyway I phoned & have agreed to stay for another 2 years  Cool  I could have had a free youview box if I had moved but then again I have been happy with the service & am now on the unlimited package..  And I'm annoyed that I missed out on the opportunity of the tv trial.  Cry
Andrew