cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account about to be suspended because of multiple failures on plusnet's part

jheenan
Grafter

Account about to be suspended because of multiple failures on plusnet's part

A week ago I use the online portal to change my direct debit details over to a new bank account. This was lovely and easy.

Little did I know this would apparently set in motion a series of events that is apparently going to result in my broadband & phone service being suspended in a little over 24 hours.

The first sign of impending doom was an email from plusnet last Friday titled "Cheque payment reminder", going on to say "Please ensure we receive payment within the next 7 days. Failure to pay by 22 April 2016 will result in service restrictions." and telling me what address I should post the cheque too... (Can you even pay for your monthly broadband service by cheque these days?!)

I queried this with online chat, who informed me that this was "due to the new direct debit not clearing in time" (well, er, just use the old one then? or take payment once the new one has setup? That's what every other company in the world does...). They informed me I should go to http://plus.net/pay and pay with a card.

I tried this and got an error:

Error

Sorry, An error occurred whilst processing your request.

The error has been recorded and our website team will investigate. Please try again later.

I told the advisor on chat this and they told me I should try again from my broadband connection (I was in the office at the time).

I've tried again from my broadband connection and it still doesn't work with exactly the same error. For days now, so I somewhat doubt the "our website team will investigate. Please try again later." part.

Apparently, I've also been billed an extra £1.50 to punish me for plus.net not taking the payment via direct debit.

I note that when the shoe is on the other foot, plus.net are quite happy to keep my money for 14+ days when they charge me double line rental, as happened twice last year.

Fairly fed up with the whole process now. And why can't I open a ticket anymore to get this sorted out properly like in the old days? I'd migrate out (after almost 14 years with plus.net!) but I'm stuck in a line rental saver for another few months yet.

3 REPLIES 3
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Account about to be suspended because of multiple failures on plusnet's part

The PlusNet DD system is archaic and catastrophically bad at getting set up properly. Trust me, I know from bitter experience. Cry

Once up and working it's then generally OK.

You need to whinge at them like mad to get your service reinstated if it goes, it is MOST DEFINITELY going to be their fault if you've followed the standard bank account change process properly.

You should then get the card charge refunded, plus one hopes some additional discount on your service for the trouble caused. Knuppel

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Account about to be suspended because of multiple failures on plusnet's part

Hello there. I'm sorry for the issues you're going through. Whilst a new direct debit is pending, the old one would have been cancelled automatically. It's currently the way our systems work, unfortunately.

However, I'll take a look at your account tomorrow afternoon and will give you a call back to sort it out? I'm in from 12 to 8 in the evening so if there's a good time please let me know.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jheenan
Grafter

Thank you Anoush. I should be available on my mobile number any time within that window.