Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abysmal upload speeds

FuchsiaCottage
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Abysmal upload speeds

Hia. I administer a few websites and for me upload speeds are very important. I have no need for VPN but I do use FTP a lot, as well as uploading via browser for photos etc.
Having just moved to the middle of deepest darkest Northumbria I knew my connection speed was going to ntake a big hit compared to the Virgin FTC I was on before, and took put the 'pro' package in order to boost my speed, but I really wasn't expecting such low upload speeds. The publicity always mentions the best download speed one can get, but always omits the upload speed.

There doesn't appear to be an add on to increase the upload speed. Why not? In this day and age of the interactive internet, upload speeds are becoming just as important as download speeds, especially for the likes of me. Uploading photos and other images are slow enough.  I've yet to upload any databases, but frankly, when I need to do any database work or website software coding on my PC I'm dreading it.
Many thanks,
Ali.
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Abysmal upload speeds

Is your exchange 21CN enabled - if so you you can ask for the upstream to be uncapped which may - just may - double the speed
If it isn't the only alternative is http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/max_premium.shtml but it isn't cheap
x47c
Grafter

Just to add to Jim's reply....
The fundamental reason for the poor upload is when ADSL was being designed and rolled out all the emphasis was on the download.
So when the frequency spectrums were being allocated most of the spectrum was allocated to the download and a much smaller bit was given to the upload.
So the upload now operates squashed in between the voice/speech frequencies and the spectrum allocated to the download on the phone line.
These are all internationally agreed spectrums - not just in the UK, so it's all fixed and unmoveable apart from the options Jim has mentioned.
(This is as far as the mass market domestic ADSL is concerned. I'm excluding made to measure and usually very expensive business grade solutions here)
You will have to wait for FTTC to get a much better upload..................
FuchsiaCottage
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hia, and thanks for your replies  Smiley
Is your exchange 21CN enabled

No, and it never will be. Neither will it be LLU'd. There's only 420 customers on the exchange which is housed in a glorified garden shed. So I have to pay more than a faster connection in a town that's got competition by being LLU'd.
FTC?  Shocked You're kidding right? In deepest darkest Northumbria? We don't even have cabinets out here! Our only hope is 4G, but then again, I can't even get a signal above 1 bar on 2G when standing outside, so I don't hold out much hope that we'll ever get 4G unless they stick up a local base station.
I suppose I should be grateful that I can get internet at all.. .
Thanks for the technical explanation about why upload speeds are a lot less than download speeds. Shortsightedness on the part of those who sat down and devised the spec. .
Max Premium looks interesting, I'll consider it, thanks. Not sure how much difference it will make though . .
Ali.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I'd advise heading here: http://trials.plus.net and taking a look at max premium as that provides a faster upstream.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team