cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolute Gash Service Since November 2009!

killyfish
Dabbler

Absolute Gash Service Since November 2009!

There are 20 houses in my street, most have broadband and it seems only I have the Plusnet service. (Premium)
We do not have the luxury of Cable in our area so unfortunately we all like it or not get our broadband through BT, either directly or through resellers who have to contact BT if we have a problem.  It makes no sense at all really and the fact that even though the resellers may be cheaper than BT directly, the service we get for the cheaper option reflects the faults and constant poor service.
The worst I have had was Talk Talk, always off every 5 minutes, great speeds at 2.8mbps but never a chance to enjoy it due to having to reset the router all the time.
I used to be with BT directly and the speed and service was always consistent, the price though thinking about it is only a few quid over on what I pay with plusnet, who buy the way have provided me with a very poor service.
Now we all share the same cab down the road and we all use a BT line, but why is it that everybody else in my street gets great broadband speeds at 2.5 to 3mbps on average and I only get a measly 1.2mbps?
The providers we have in our street are as follows:
Supanet - 2.5 to 3mbps
Sky Broadband - 2.2 to 2.5mbps
BT Broadband - 2.9 to 3.1mbps
Plusnet - 512 to 1.2mbps
Talk Talk - 2.2 to 3mbps
I have had crosstalk on my line since the begining, constant texts and emails telling me my fault has gone back BOT Phone Faults!

25 REPLIES 25
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Absolute Gash Service Since November 2009!

Welcome to the Forum.
Who manages you phone?  as you should not have crosstalk and that will no doubt be why you have poor broadband.  The phone fault should be reported to your phone supplier, and dont mention broadband
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi,
If you've had a ticket go back to BOT phone faults it sounds like the line could be with us. I'll take a look at your support ticket now to see what's happening and will report back here shortly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Also the process is the same whether you are with BT or anyone else.  BT is split up into a number of different companies.  BT Openreach provide the phone lines, BT Wholesale provide Broadband and BT Retail sell it to the public.  Everyone has equal access to BT Openreach and BT Wholesale including BT Retail.  BT Retail can not get preferential treatment.
As pierre says though, if you have crosstalk that is very likely to have a big impact on your line.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you have problems with the phone line itself (background noise or crosstalk etc.), reporting it as a broadband fault generally delays resolution. When you report the fault don't mention Broadband (and it's not a totally stupid idea to hide your router before the engineer shows up and pretend you just use dialup).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi all,
Just to clarify the sittuation the line is with us and we are dealing with this at present so we don't need to advise killyfish  to go to BT or elsewhere here.
FAO killyfish, I have updated your support ticket as we need to arrange an engineer visit for you and give you an update, could you please check our response and get back to us as soon as you are able please.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
killyfish
Dabbler

Having worked for the Tech Support Department for 3 years at NTL (Now Virgin Media) I am starting to see this forum turning into the NTHELL website they once had lol
I am very much aware that cross talk may affect the broadband speed, but it's strange that at first I was getting only 512kbps and when I complained about it, plusnet suddenly upped it to 1.2mbps even though the cross talk remains?
My moans and groans don't get anything done, I am on a premium package that offers up to 8mbps and which is ideal for a family who have numerous users of the internet. The fact that when three of us use it the speed grinds to a halt makes it only more frustrating!
The last engineer that was arranged simply phoned me and said he could not help me and tried to buy me off with some talk of fibre coming to our area in the future? I hate it when these guys just write you off and expect you to just suck it up!
I have again responded via the plusnet control panel.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When you first rang up was it to complain about the cross talk or the poor broadband speed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cheers killyfish,
As per our chat when I phoned you every indication is that BT Openreach need to arrange an engineer visit to resolve the fault. Ergo I've sent a request to book an engineer and we will update your ticket again once we've received confirmation.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

killyfish,
Just updating this thread in case you are keeping an eye on it to say that an appointment has been confirmed. Your ticket has been updated so please check it as soon as you can and let us know if we need to rearrange anything.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
killyfish
Dabbler

The engineer did not turn up, I had no call or email to inform me of this, basically 5 hours of my life wasted for diddly squat!
Thanks, I am really getting convinced about how bad the service is....forgot to mention that my fault still exists.
win7xp
Grafter

This really isn't good enough.
Don't PN/BT or whoever realise that people are taking time off work to facilitate engineer visits.
If an appointment is not going to be kept it is common courtesy and good manners to inform the OP.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I agree with win7xp..... it is NOT good enough.....
people lose money by having time off work .... PlusNet/BT should compensate the customer when they fail to turn up.....
after all, they charge the customer if they (think) (find) the fault is in the customers end of the line.....
What compensation arrangements does PlusNet have with BT in these cases?  I bet it is ZILCH.....
so they (PlusNet) will say it is not in their domain....However, I think PlusNet SHOULD accept the responsibility, in the same way a shop is responsible to the customer for faulty goods....... i.e.  the contract is between the customer and the supplier (shop) or (PlusNet)..... and not with the next supplier up the chain.... (wholesaler) or in this case..... BT....
How many times have we seen the same complaint on these forums..... and it usually happens when a new customer has a serious complaint about the general service PlusNet are (not ) providing.
killyfish
Dabbler

Well contract or not, I have come to the same conclusion many others on have. It's pretty obvious BT are mucking all this up jus to get us back as customers, at the end of the day it's BT who supply the line and we do not have any other option around my area but to take it or leave it!
Comparison:
BT - When I was with these guys I had no problems at all, phone line worked perfect and the broadband was consistent with constant high speeds. I was paying around £130 per quarter, we only left because we thought at the time it seemed a little high? But for the unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds I am really sorry I left them.
Plusnet - I have had cross talk on my line since November 2009, the broadband speeds at it's highest is 1.2mbps, I had the pleasure of having the insulting 384 - 512 kbps for a good while before my numerous complaints got it pushed back to 1.2mbps. I pay an average of £40 - £45 per month for my brilliant (Yeah Right) premium package with a monthly allowance of 80gig, at a push I would say I am paying the same now as what I did with BT. The only difference is that I am not getting any where near the service that one would expect!
Websites these days such as BBCi Player, Youtube and so forth require a high speed connection, all I get is constant buffering. The laughable thing about all this is that if your internet is faulty the will give you a free dialup number so you can use the ancient Modem that nobody has installed anymore? Why bother, it's like dial up ahlf the time anyway!
Well anyway, 5 hours of my time wasted, not even an email or phone call to explain.
BT please welcome me back, Plusnet please send me your outstanding balance (Contract), you always take my money but you never give me a product or service worthy of the cost.
I hate moaning at the best of times but the sheer arrogance of this rubbish service has stressed us all out, don't bother getting married plusnet, you will never turn up to the wedding and if you did, you would never keep your vows!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi killyfish,
I'm really sorry this happened - I'm on the phone now trying to find out what happened with the engineer and will update shortly.