Did you mean: 

ASA Findings!

mlmclaren
Grafter

ASA Findings!

So just received this from ASA/
Dear Mr McLaren,

Your complaint: PlusNet plc

Thank you for contacting the Advertising Standards Authority. I’m sorry to learn this matter caused you concern.

As you may know, our role as an organisation is to assess the content of ads and consider whether they are likely to breach the UK Codes of Advertising on the basis suggested.  We may consider there is likely to be a breach of Code if, for example, we deem the ad likely to materially mislead the majority of consumers, or cause serious or widespread offence or harm. If this is the case, we can take action in the form of ensuring the problematic ad is amended or withdrawn.

I should say that we contacted the advertiser as a result of your complaint. Plusnet confirmed what you told us; that they will no longer be offering the 24/7 service described in the ads you refer to. We therefore agreed with you and felt you made a valid point; we considered the ads were likely to be in breach of the UK Code of Non-broadcast Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP). As a result of our contact with them, we understand that Plusnet have now amended their advertising to ensure they avoid implying they can provide a 24/7 support service when, in the very near future, this won’t be the case. Given the changes they’ve made to address the matter, and that consumers should no longer be misled for this reason, we’ll now close our case.
10 REPLIES 10
gofaster
Rising Star

Re: ASA Findings!

So they changed it to "365 days a year"
But they still say
Help's at hand whenever you need it. Get award-winning UK-based support 365 days a year.

Which is fine provided you don't need it after 10 pm.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's clearly 365 days, not 365 nights Wink
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Help's at hand whenever you need it. Get award-winning UK-based support 365 days a year.

Note my Highlighting!
Isn't this simply "double-talk"?
PN got those awards because they DID offer 24/7 service! Hence, IMHO, this is "effectively" STILL saying that they offer 24/7!
All4One
Grafter

Quote from: JohnJ

PN got those awards because they DID offer 24/7 service! Hence, IMHO, this is "effectively" STILL saying that they offer 24/7!

I don't think the the awards are for the 24/7 support. I wouldn't say the support from 10pm to 7am topped them up to gain awards such as 'Best Value Home Broadband' 'Best Broadband Provider' 'Best Budget Provider'. It's for the customer service experience and the UK centers probably help there quite a bit.
adie:green fixed quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The email I've received from the ASA is word for word the same. I wonder how many complaints they received.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mlmclaren
Grafter

Thought it would be Jelv...
Estragon
Rising Star

UK support

That must be the fastest website change Plusnet have ever made.
Anon
Pro

Not the first time they have been found guilty by ASA, they were in trouble over advertising they did at Sheffield Wednesday a few years ago.
Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

The ASA did let them get away with describing the BT Infinity service as optical fibre connection when in fact it is (VDSL) copper  connection to a distant street cabinet.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
alext05
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
The email I've received from the ASA is word for word the same. I wonder how many complaints they received.

According to the ASA - 1.
https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications.aspx#2