Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A moot point

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

A moot point

Here's the puzzle.

Plusnet charge line rental on a line that can adequately service telephone calls, but not broadband.

So, how does that work then? Seems wrong to me, totally wrong and the agents on the chat line seem to agree but are unable to process retrospective refunds because of their own set procedures. 

Comments (and analogies) welcome. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A moot point

Well in this instance your line rental is to allow you to use that service (voice), but if the said same line cannot support broadband (by what definition I do not know) then surely you would not be offered a BB service on that line, and therefore incur no cost (line rental).

Minivanman
Legend

Indeed, and at one time it did support a half competent broadband, but now it does not yet I am told I will still have to pay for it. A request to 'split the difference' has been ignored. Not after free lunch, just an internet that works because at the end of the day it is that which uses the lions share of that line, not the telephone

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

By what definition are you using to say that the line cannot support BroadBand?

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My original phone line way back wouldn't even support dial-up. There was a shortage of lines so mine was some how a shared line.

I don't suppose they have that much nowadays.

Minivanman
Legend

By what definition? For some unknown reason, since the beginning of last March my line will not support/download more than 1Mb/s, so a bit like trying to drive a bus down a cycle lane I guess.

Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, this is based on tests or an assumption of your own? If it's proper OR tests then surely there is someone you can poke to get it fixed, after all it worked before! If it's your own assumption then you need to get some tests carried out.

Minivanman
Legend

Based on my tests and those of BT, and as for getting it fixed, really? It's what I've been trying to do for the last six months! - but we digress, as this post was about it being a moot point as to whether l should be charged or not. 

Herman Melville
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

Here's the puzzle.

Plusnet charge line rental on a line that can adequately service telephone calls, but not broadband.

Also:

... For some unknown reason, since the beginning of last March my line will not support/download more than 1Mb/s,...

So you have a working line that supports both voice and (albeit slow) broadband. I fail to see why you think you should not pay for the line you rent

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Minivanman
Legend

So you think you should pay top whack for a line that does not allow you to watch live video, often hangs up, and takes four to five hours to download a program? 

Sorry, but either you are 'taking the Michael' or you are living on a planet that has full high speed uninterrupted broadband.... and have done for the last six months.

Congratulations.  

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Do any of the plusnet people we have around here have a view on this, or is that asking too much? 

Happy to have it explained to me why I might be wrong and/or confused about this.

Herman Melville
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Its the weekend Huh maybee on monday Roll_eyes

There was a time when PN staff were about 24/7 LONG time ago Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I suppose that you have reported a fault so the line is under repair. As others have stated on this thread, what is the definition of not 'servicing' broadband in terms of speed reliability useability etc?. If you can define how the service differs from an acceptable level then we can comment. I think we are in the realms of a financial settlement because PN have failed to provide an adequate service or goodwill gesture as PN would term it. 

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Minivanman
Legend

An acceptable level? I thought I had already done that and besides, surely it is something you yourself could define.

As said I think, phones are now very much an aside when it comes to the quality of the line as the Lions share of it's use is now video streaming and it is that which at less than 1Mb/s and noise on the line which results in constant buffering, hang ups, and the requirement to download programs for watching overnight as it takes several hours to complete. Plusnet themselves agree this is not acceptable which is why to date I have had at least ten if not more engineers attend my home over the past six months and why BT have placed traffic lights on three separate occasions and now soon to be a fourth at my nearest cabinet in order to safely access it.

We could liken it I suppose to paying the full price for a hire car and it's petrol, and one that will only get you to your local shops rather than the next town. Sure, like plusnet they would give a refund but unlike plusnet they would not I hope then tell me it had all been a mistake and that further refunds would no longer be given for the car, only for the petrol you have been unable to use!

What am a missing here guys, the ability to keep quiet about it and not ask questions or demand explanations? I guess that would be it. 

Herman Melville