Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A moot point

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: A moot point

Always a lot less than 1Mb/s download and an upload speed not even worth a mention. I check the line speed using that link most days doing three checks at a time for parity, although quite often it will not even allow me to do that as I cannot get on line in the first place or when I do, it either freezes or hangs up but hey, patience is a virtue yes?

I'm beginning to think not to be honest Gel.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

But the way broadband is sold in this country is that it's a fixed price regardless of what speed you actually get (up to the headline speed for the product). People who don't even have broadband still pay the same line rental.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

OP - In your various other threads (to which I have contributed) I think we have ascertained that Openreach have decided that your problem solution is either too expensive (digs and new cabling) or too inconvenient (road closures etc). They have decided that they only have to provide a working telephone for calls under the USO.

As I see it,you have two options -1 If you don't make calls,cancel with PN and do without everything or 2. move to a more expensive provider like A & A who MIGHT have more clout with Openreach to get the broadband sorted.

If you make calls and stay with PN then I can't see any way that they are going to discount your line rental.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

As said I think, phones are now very much an aside when it comes to the quality of the line as the Lions share of it's use is now video streaming and it is that which at less than 1Mb/s and noise on the line which results in constant buffering, hang ups, ......

I seem to have missed an earlier reference to noise on the line. Whether you use the phone or not, that is the only thing that can be used against OR. Broadband is provided as a "whatever the line supports" addition, with no guarantees of performance.

Regarding your response to my previous post, yes I do expect you to pay for a line that you have connected; the quality of broadband is irrelevant unless and until the conditions imposed upon OR change.

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Regarding your response to my previous post, yes I do expect you to pay for a line that you have connected; the quality of broadband is irrelevant unless and until the conditions imposed upon OR change.

Then let's agree to disagree friend because both myself and plusnet think the quality is not irrelevant otherwise we not not be spending out time chasing BT around the houses. If you would be happy with less than 1Mb/s download, upload not worth mentioning and noise on the line and pay the full charge for it then fine, we'll leave it there. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville