cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A big "BOO!" to your marketing

piadri

A big "BOO!" to your marketing

Beware Plusnet marketing!
I believe I'm of "reasonable" intelligence, however, I fell for their "cheapest broadband"...."£6.49 a month" spiel.
Ensure your internet usage is no more than 10GB a month (eh? I had no idea how much I use either!) your bill will go from £6.49 to £17.99. I never had this problem on AOL, which was £14.99 a month. So, suddenly, Plusnet are not "cheaper". What they also fail to mention, move your landline to them (which they encourage to get your broadband and phone package "cheaper" - supposedly!) check you won't get penalised for ending your contract and charged £25 from BT like I was! (who, ironically, Plusnet are affiliated with!).
Not impressed so far...
Ade.
10 REPLIES 10
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: A big "BOO!" to your marketing

I'm interested to find out the signup path you took, and where it was not clearly specified that the limit was 10GB, along with a reasonable comparison of "what 10GB is", as Plusnet will need to cover any instances of this.
Plusnet have no access to your BT home phone account details, and are unable to inform you of any outstanding contractual commitments you may have.  Surely this is part of your remit?
That being said, there are certainly other options available to you.  If you could get the Value package at £6.49, then you should be able to get the Extra package at £11.49, with 60GB included.  Perhaps this would be a more suitable package to be on, (and also still cheaper than AOL?)
B.
piadri

This "from" word leads to a lot of ambiguity...
I've not been offered the option of the £11.49 package in the email I just received to "warn" me that I was going to be charged an extra £5 for every 5GB I used if I stayed on the £6.49 package. I was given the option of £17.99 or £25 something or other.
Quite a lot of "flannel" hiding the actual true costs I reckon.
Ade.
piadri

Also, I'm not suggesting Plusnet had any idea about my contract with BT...
I'm just warning others to check first that making a move from from one phone provider to another won't incur any penalties. I kicked myself for not checking when the letter from BT arrived in the post.
Ade.
Not applicable

Sadly, you seem to have fallen into the trap that many of us do i.e. we do not always read and study things properly.
As Barry has said, if you move onto the Extra package things should be a lot better for you.
With regards to the telephone, I have a BT landline too with a contract which I have just renewed because I took out the line saver deal for the year.  I am afraid that there is not much to be done about that unless you are within the cancellation period and stay where you are rather than swapping to Plusnet Homephone. It is something that I dislike about BT but comes with the deals that I have had, which have been better for me financially.  PN telephone deals are much better if you don't like contracts.
I am surprised that the staff did not discuss the broadband problem with you as for the most part they are very helpful.  I can see why they did not mention the BT issue though because it is the customer's responsibility.  I do wonder if PN could look at this because maybe the sales staff should mention it as a good will gesture.  After all, it is advertised to be an 'honest. Yorkshire company'.

Anyway, you have found your way to the forum so welcome and hope that your thread has been helpful to you.  Hope that things work out better for you with the new package.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think the £17.99 is the Value plus line rental  £6..49 +£11.25=£17.74  bit muddled thinking what package or market area on your part
terms from the PN portal
Stuff you need to know
Our broadband won't be beat on price: Find a lower price for standalone broadband and we'll beat it. More about our price promise.
Broadband with a 12 month contract: There's a £25 activation charge but we'll give you this free if you add Home Phone to your order. We'll also give you a free wireless router worth £40.
Broadband with no contract: There's a £25 activation charge (you'll pay this even if you add Home Phone to your order). You can use your own router if it's compatible or you can pay for one up front.
* Plusnet Value: If you live in a low cost area it costs £6.49 a month. If you live outside one of these areas it costs £6.49 a month for the first three months, then £10.79 or £12.99 a month depending on where you live. See how we compare on price in your area.
** Plusnet Extra: If you live in a low cost area it costs £11.49 a month. If you live outside one of these areas it costs £11.49 a month for the first three months, then £15.79 or £17.99 a month depending on where you live.
You'll need a Plusnet or other BT based landline to get our broadband. Our landline service (called Home Phone) costs £11.25 including evening and weekend calls. More about Plusnet Home Phone
1 - Broadband speed is described as up to 20Mb because your actual download speeds will vary depending on where you live. We'll give you a speed estimate when you sign up.
† - Line rental will increase to £11.99 on 4th January 2011. There will also be changes to some of the Home Phone product features on this date. See the new tariff.
See our full terms and conditions
piadri

Thanks for the info everyone - just letting off steam!
I've been offered the £17.99 Extra package now, I don't appear to live in a low cost area (so don't get the £11 odd option), plus £11.25 line rental as I've gone with their home phone deal, too.
As for the staff pointing things out, I did all my "sign up" online, so it REALLY does pay to check everything out. I think I've fallen foul of being an AOL customer for a very long time. In that case, you pay £14.99 a month for their Broadband regardless of usage. There's no "hidden this", "hidden that", "upgrade to this", "upgrade to that" - it's a flat fee.
I'm reknowned for researching things, comparing things, trolling through the internet to find information (ask my partner!) and I appear to have fallen into a marketing "trap". The fact is, I'm now paying £3 more a month for my broadband! While to some, that may appear minimal, it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth given the marketing spiel that lead me to switch providers.
Ade.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Yes, people who have been with AOL for a long time tend to have very good deals indeed, my girlfreinds house is on AOL, but she gets unlimited for £8.99.  I didn't believe her when she told me, but its true.
Not applicable

That is a shame - I hope that despite the price difference it works out OK for you.  At least  there is only the one bill now that you have telephone too.
Also, I understand that there is a consultation going on about upgrading some exchanges to market 3 - doubtless we will hear more later  so might be worth keeping a lookout for that just in case yours is one of them.
piadri

Thanks Poppy.
I'm here now, so, I'll stick with it for the time being.
On a different note, loving your website. Your Cairns have just made me VERY broody!
Ade.
Not applicable

In that case you definitely can stick around for a bit - jmdlp and me always give a big welcome to anyone who admires our 'best little pals in all the world'. 
We are, as they say 'smitten'.