cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Day Without Internet

tiffy
Rising Star

A Day Without Internet

Wednesday morning, router (Netgear) , always left on, with red internet LED., would not re-connect.
Normal US & DS synch. rates, from Router Stats, SNRM stable & normal,no internet connection.
After a few checks, router re-boot, configuration checks, substitution with another router etc. contacted phone help line.
Very helpful and polite, had to repeat all of the tests, do appreciate that this is a requirement, different customers with different levels of knowledge, must start from scratch.
Within 15 min`s., we had agreed that the problem did not appear to be at my end and a ticket was raised.
They did advise that my exchange was not currently showing any fault status.
I did check that my mobile phone number was on record & correct and advised that my land line was still fully operational.
Nothing heard all day, BB still the same, router showing red on internet LED..
At approx. 20:30 hrs., went to a friends home & PC and checked ticket status.
Found that support had been religiously updating my ticket on line and by e-mail, had not found any fault.
On checking my exchange status, found that BT had posted a fault @ 16:30 hrs., equipment failure in Edinburgh, location of my RAS., and listed by number as effected !
Next morning, Thursday, found that my connection was back to normal again.
On checking the exchange status, found BT had listed the fault as resolved @ 22:30 hrs..
I am happy with Plusnet support apart from the fact that response was made on line and by e-mail neither of which I had any access to while the fault persisted !
BT were very slow to list the exchange fault, my system was out @ 08:00 hrs. and the fault was posted @ 16:30 hrs..
Plusnet did not actually pick up on the BT exchange fault when it eventually was posted.
All in all, certainly a much more pleasant experience than my previous ISP., no regrets regarding change to PN..
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: A Day Without Internet

Hi tiffy,
We definitely take your point on board about communicating over the phone rather than online when a fault is being dealt with but I would say its worth bearing in mind in this case that the updates to your tickets were automated ones from our faults checker. Any manual updates to fault tickets normally take place within the proceeding 48 to 72 hours after a fault is raised. For this fault things never got to that stage hence we weren't able to pick up on the issue in Edinburgh.
From a staff point of view I we definitely want  to say thanks for the kind words and the feedback you've given, it's always appreciated.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tiffy
Rising Star

Adam,
Many thanks for your very prompt response, your points taken on board.
I am full of praise for PlusNet`s support, in this instance I believe the associated delays are firmly attritutable to BT, if the exchange fault had been posted in a more timely manner then I certainly would have accepted the situation as outwith my or PlusNet`s control and waited for resolution without all the un-necessary checking / substitution which we carried out.
On another minor un-related point :-
When I type a full window in this editor and the scroll bar appears, I can scroll to the end of the entry but as soon as I start typing additional text, this scrolls off the bottom of the window and I am trying blind !
Does this happen to anyone else or do I have a peculiar problem ?
I am currently using Windows 7 but the same thing happened on XP Home previously.
Should I raise a fault ticket or is this a known problem ?
Again, many thanks for your excellent support, much appreciated,
Tiffy.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi tiffy,
Sorry for the delayed response, there's definitely  something that can be learned from your feedback there though.
With regards to the issue scrolling down, it sounds to me like you may be using the scroll bar on the far right of your browser window rather than the one in the text box for forum posts/replies. Does that ring any bells with you?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suspect you are using IE8 - in which case you need to run it in compatibility mode for this site
tiffy
Rising Star

Adam,
I do mean the window scroll bar, not the RHS scroll bar.
Oldjim,
I think you have hit the nail on the head, I am using IE8 on both my Win 7  & XP Home PC`s..
Can you possibly advise how to switch on compatability mode for site within IE8 ?
Won`t be able to try the fix for a while, currently at work off-shore.
Thanks to both for support.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi again tiffy,
No problem. I've been reading up on compatibility mode in IE8. It looks very simple to activate, a 'broken page' icon appears just to the right of the address bar. This screenshot should help to show you where this is:
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tiffy
Rising Star

Adam,
Many thanks for the help, we are still on IE6 at my work location, big companies are very cautious, the fault does not occur here, will try when I get home again and advise, pretty sure that will be the solution.
Regards, Tiffy
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No probs, just come back to us on here if you are struggling and either me or one of the regulars should get back to you.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team