cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Yorkshire Mural - Celebrating the White Rose County

The Yorkshire Mural – Celebrating the White Rose County

Yorkshire – Home of the Dales, Arctic Monkeys, York Minster, ‘proper’ beer, Yorkshire puddings, Sir Patrick Stewart, Dame Judi Dench, Henderson’s relish and 5 million proud inhabitants.

Clearly, there’s a lot to celebrate about Yorkshire. This year on Yorkshire Day, we’re shouting about some of the White Rose county’s gems, with an incredible visual display.    

Unveiling the Yorkshire Mural

Covering a wall 14 metres long and 7 metres tall, visitors to the iconic Kelham Island in Sheffield will now find a mural of some of the most recognisable landmarks from famous Yorkshire cities.

We wanted to commemorate buildings and landscapes that tie in to Yorkshire’s astounding heritage across agriculture, industry and architecture – highlighting all that the county has contributed to the UK and the world in a really visual way.

The imagery took local artist Jo Peel, who’s based in our home town of Sheffield, seven days to create. The results look incredible.

CX1A9270.jpg

CX1A9220.jpg

CX1A9224.jpg

Among the familiar sites in the mural are the Tetley’s Brewery, Leeds Corn Exchange, Huddersfield Market and the Henderson’s Relish factory. The buildings are backed onto examples of Yorkshire’s iconic green fields, which often earn the county the title of ‘God’s Own Country’.

Not only are the buildings famous in Yorkshire itself, familiar to almost all residents of the cities in which they sit – we have chosen them because the products that have passed or still do pass through their doors are recognised on a global scale.

CX1A9214.jpgCX1A9276.jpg

CX1A9248.jpg

Credit for the design goes to Jo, whose passion for the project made it such a success. Her knowledge of Yorkshire is deeply reflected in the work.

CX1A9337.jpg

CX1A9302.jpg

This is what she had to say about the project:

"Yorkshire is the home of over five million proud people, and I wanted to encapsulate that pride by displaying the roots of the landscape, from the industrial heritage of its great cities to the incredible countryside that surrounds us all.

“Coming from Sheffield myself, I hope that my creation will display the urban Yorkshire landscape in a state of renewal and celebrate the affection I share with my fellow Yorkshire folk."

Jo’s handiwork can be viewed in all its glory at 24 Alma Street in Kelham Island. Pop by and enjoy it, and Happy Yorkshire Day!

How will you be sharing Yorkshire Day on 1st August? Let us know on Twitter @Plusnet.

0 Comments