cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

warning re security of router. 2022

shopwr14

warning re security of router. 2022

I have a plusnet router. How do I know if it is open to the attack described in 'Tom's Guide', which says "A severe security flaw could let malicious hackers attack and take over millions of home Wi-Fi routers over the internet, researchers disclosed today (Jan. 11).

So far, only Netgear is known to have released patches for its affected models, although routers made by Edimax, D-Link, Tenda, TP-Link and Western Digital are also believed to be vulnerable.

"This vulnerability affects millions of devices around the world and in some instances may be completely remotely accessible," wrote Sentinel Labs researcher Max van Amerongen in a company blog post.

Successful router hijacks would let a hacker control all aspects of a victim's internet traffic and stage further attacks such as sending users to phishing sites or infecting other devices on the network.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: warning re security of router. 2022

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: warning re security of router. 2022

Simplest answer is to read the whole article and then run a port probe using GRC's port scanner - see GRC | ShieldsUP! — Single Port Probe

I'm running a Hub Two and the referenced port does not respond to probes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.