Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old firmware on a hub one

FIXED
Indy62
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

old firmware on a hub one

Does anyone know why Plusnet send out their routers to new customers with old Firmware knowing that there is new firmware that is more stable. Also why don't they allow you to download it to put it on yourself if they cant be arsed to actually do it for you?

9 REPLIES 9
Bill_C
Rising Star

Re: old firmware on a hub one

Probably because within the first hour or so of those "updates" going live they would have a load of "HELP i've bricked my router" calls to deal with.

Not worth the hassle Cheesy

As for going out with "old firmware" it's probably easier to let it update when it reaches the customer rather having the supplier, go through the added expense of opening up, flashing, testing and repackaging each router before sending it out.

Indy62
Dabbler

So instead all new customers are shouting help because the router doesn’t work as it should. I have a router that I’ve had to turn off the 5ghz because it keeps asking for a password or just won’t login and no one from Plusnet seems to want to help update the firmware. Great start should have stayed with BT.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Or you could carry on reading and discover many people just use their BT Routers.

You don;t say which version of firmware you have, but it is probably the latest production version.

Indy62
Dabbler

If people are using BT ones then the Plusnet ones must be [-Censored-]e, I’ve had to have at least 3 BT home hubs. It’s firmware version 263 not 273 that is the latest.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Indy62 

It would cause much less confusion if you did not double post. The latest formal release of firmware is xxx.263. I see that you have separately asked for yours to be updated to the beta xx.273. This is not on general release.

Plusnet is a budget ISP and supplies a budget hub which currently has wireless problems. Under the hood is an old BT Home Hub 5a with flaky firmware. Hence many of us use the cheap and plentiful on auction sites Smarthub 6.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

No, 273 is a development version, not in production.

Depends which BT Hub you have, the Hub 1 is a BT HH5A, but the newer HH6 is meant to be better.

Ah, looks like @Baldrick1  beat me to it.

Bill_C
Rising Star

I'm still on 263 and have had ZERO issues with it.
Saying that I am using an old HG612 as the modem.

pint
Aspiring Pro

I wonder how many people change ISP because the wifi from the bundled router isnt upto much?

I know of at least two people that fall into that category, one on Sky and the other with plusnet, both of which have "crappy" wifi and as soon as the contract ends they will change to another company with better Wifi

Indy62
Dabbler

Fix
Firmware has now been updated to 273 and everything is working fine. Thanks for all the help and also thanks for the patronising comments by the Keyboard warriors.