Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired connection keeps dropping to a device - oddity

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Wired connection keeps dropping to a device - oddity

This only appears to be affecting the connection to my Sony Smart TV, using a wired connection. In the middle of watching a streamed programs. The TV can suddenly no longer see the router or gateway.  Once it happens when you look at the routers logs (Hub 2) its shows the connected IP address being dropped and reconnected nearly every minute (see s screenshot of a section of the log) IP address 192.168.1.119  tried it both with DHCP and Static makes no difference. The only way it seems to stop that is a reboot of the router!  Note: all other devices on the network still at the time of the initial drop and can work both Locally and externally to internet.

Any ideas on what on earth is going on!

11 REPLIES 11
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Wired connection keeps dropping to a device - oddity

Hey @wakeman,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been running into this issue. Is the TV connected to the router directly, or is the Ethernet connection going through any Powerline Adapters?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
wakeman
Aspiring Pro

Hi @TheMightyAJ 

Thanks for your response, currently it is connected via ethernet through TP-Link Powerline adaptors.

I believe I had the same sort of issue when I tried Wi-Fi direct from the Hub 2 as Wi-Fi also available on the TV.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming that Smiley Are any other devices connecting to the router via the Powerline Adapters, or is it just the TV for the time being?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
wakeman
Aspiring Pro

Yes their is a Laptop in the same room on a different Powerline Adaptor (because it has only got N wifi on it, A Blu-Player is also connected via an Adaptor and in bedroom another DVD Player.

But none of those are in use when the TV has these issues.

At First I thought it was just a NowTV issue but has now happened with Disney+

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming this for me @wakeman Smiley It's hard to pinpoint what exactly is causing the issue with the information we have at the moment, so what I'd recommend we try is removing the Powerline Adapters from play for a few days to see if the problem still occurs. Would you be able to connect the TV over Wi-Fi and let us know how this goes?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

wakeman
Aspiring Pro

I can try Wi-Fi again, but have had the issue with that previously why I switched to wired via powerlines. But will give it another go.

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I've got this exact same issue.... 3 devices connected with ethernet. Sony TV kept saying ethernet not connected when switched on and either moving ethernet ports on router or rebooting router cured it. I was using a business hub 6 with cat6 cable. Firstly blamed cable as moving to cat5 cured for a while but it came back. I've since swapped back to hub 1 over a week ago and all fine so far.... Using cat6 cable again. 

What router are you using, I'd be interested to know.

I've got a Sony KD 49XG8096 running latest Android firmware on Oreo. 

My thread here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-business-hub-6/td-p/1879688

I was going to get a new router but may hold off until I've had a good month of connection. Only switched from hub1 due to wireless performance.

My TV is  connected directly to router, but I have a powerline device connecting my son's desktop to ethernet and that's fine

wakeman
Aspiring Pro

I am using the Hub 2 from PlusNet. There is very little point in using Cat6 cables as Cat5e can handle Gb speeds.

I usually use the test connection option in the Sony TV settings and after about 1 or 2 mins it comes back online. 

Doing some more testing here..

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I only got the Cat6 as they were cheaper at the time....

Maybe my issue is a little different to yours. Once I got the ethernet not connected message, unless I swapped the cable port on the router which didn't work all the time, or rebooted the router, the connection would not come back. Rebooting the TV had no effect. Oddly enough when this happened, the router still thought there was an active lease according to the DHCP logs. I've checked today, and it's now 9 days without any drop in connection now I've moved back to the hub1.

wakeman
Aspiring Pro

Just a bit of an update. I have switched to use Wi-Fi on 5Ghz band and it been working reliably (touch wood), I also changed the band in use on the router as I discovered there were a number of conflicts with neighbours wi-fi when I did tests.

I suspect the mains wiring in the living room was the cause of the issue rather then the home Plugs which work elsewhere in the property without issue.