cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi repeatedly disconnecting

Rugseller

Wifi repeatedly disconnecting

Hi
My WiFi keeps disconnecting from various devices, sometimes it seems all are affected at other times just a computer. Yesterday this happened repeatedly. This morning again the same thing. This afternoon it seems fine.
It appears to be random but I have been thrown out of teams/zoom meetings. It is becoming a real issue. Is there any help out there?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Wifi repeatedly disconnecting

Welcome to the Forum @Rugseller 

You say that you have a wifi problem rather than the connection dropping to the outside world? Just to be sure: does the blue light on the Hub change when you run into one of these episodes? I'm assuming that you have a PlusNet Hub One.

If it is wifi: There is a known issue with the Hub One that relates to it connecting on 2 frequencies.. By default they have the same ID which can cause some kit to lose connection. The advice is to give them different IDs, See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...for how to do it. I don't know whether this will solve your problem, but it is a worthwhile first step.

If that doesn't solve then there is a helpful check on the Plusnet website that aims to try and improve wifi connections. Start at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/

Please let us know how you get on.

Rugseller

Hi Brightonrock
The blue light stays on when this is happening as I say someone else's device can be happily still connected whilst 2 or 3 others are knocked off. I have been kicked off Zoom in one room whilst my wife has no issues at all on another device next door.

I'll try your steps. Thanks for replying I'll let you know how I get on
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Rugseller 

The PlusNet HubOne is not the best when it comes to WiFi. It is a re-badged BT HH5. Too many devices connected at the same time is one issue.

Many users have purchased a HH6 off eBay for £10-20 and use that instead. Instructions are setup are available on the forum. PlusNet are happy for customers to use their own equipment so there may well be something else that suits you better.

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @Rugseller

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear about the problems that you're having. to be honest, they sound rather similar the the issues that I personally had with the Hub One.

I've just made a couple of changes to the settings on your router, which in my experience, solved this problem for good. Don't worry though, these changes are reversible.

Smart Wireless - I've just got the router to scan the local area, and to change the WIFI channels to those best suited for your environment at the moment.

Splitting the SSID - I've also split the SSID's on your router, so you'll not be able to choose which band to connect to - 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

See how you get on over the next few days and let me know how it goes. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds