Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi drops out on Win10

FIXED
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Wifi drops out on Win10

Far from it, the hub 6 has better wifi (both 2.4 and 5GHz work, though mine are split on this too) and for me it actually gives me a greater sync speed to the plusnet network.

(Some pay under £20 from ebay, if you're interested go for a FTTC one, ideally BNIB - if you're not sure drop the link on here and I'll let you know if it's the right one. The other hub6 is a FTTP one).

Regarding the edit. Don't hold your breath. You might be lucky and no more issues will present themselves. If it does then turning off the 5GHz may be your next option.....

B25
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fix

OK, so a bit more testing over the weekend. 

With the 5GHz switched off, my initial tests showed that my laptop was connecting ok and holding the connection.  This lasted all of one day before the other devices started experiencing issues connecting to the 2.4GHz side.  Problems experienced where intermittent connections, connecting but not being able to do anything & connecting but web traffic running really slowly.  

My other devices are mostly Windows 10 pc/laptops.  All connect wirelessly and all having issues.  I noticed that the kids old android tablets and the newer android phones had NO issues at all.  As the android devices rarely ever get updated, they would be on older versions of the wifi (802.11) protocols/drivers.  Perhaps Microsoft have fixed something / enhanced the security / or whatever in recent Windows updates which the router firmware just cant handle.

Either way, I have given up troubleshooting the plusnet router issues and had swapped it out for my previous router (BT Smart Hub type A).  It presents as a Hub6.  I have also split the wifi on it (probably no need but want to test isolated performance by keeping the PCs on the 5GHz side and all the phones and android devices on the 2.4GHz side.

If the plusnet router team would like my old plusnet router back so they can test on it, drop me a PM and we can arrange to post it back.  May be of use as they seem unable to replicate the issue.

Thanks to all who contributed to this post.  Hopefully its off use to others.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @B25 

It's good to hear that you have got the router up and running to your satisfaction. 

In regards to the PNH1 - I'e arranged for a returns bag to be sent out to you. Feel free to send it back. 

Please don;t hesitate to get in touch if we can offer support on anything else for you.

Kind Regards, 

MoR

SpecialD
Rising Star

Woahhh there!!  - This can't be an accepted fix?!

Problem: Plusnet Hub 1 is does not work properly.

Solution: Send it back in a bag and use BT's Hub 6 instead.

Sorry, but that's not a fix. 

In case my dispute goes nowhere and someone else visits this thread then please refer onward to the open issue over here... Grin
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Could-this-be-a-bug-with-firmware-4-7-5-1-83-8-263-or-Window...

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@B25 wrote:

OK, so a bit more testing over the weekend. 

With the 5GHz switched off, my initial tests showed that my laptop was connecting ok and holding the connection.  This lasted all of one day before the other devices started experiencing issues connecting to the 2.4GHz side.  Problems experienced where intermittent connections, connecting but not being able to do anything & connecting but web traffic running really slowly.  

That's almost like how mine was.

Yours and mine does kinda support a caching issue that I have mentioned several times now. Nobody from Plusnet has commented on this however:(.

In my case, my router was dropping the connection (for other reasons) but it was not losing power. I found that by turning it off and on again would restore some functionality, albeit only for short time.

My other devices are mostly Windows 10 pc/laptops.  All connect wirelessly and all having issues.  I noticed that the kids old android tablets and the newer android phones had NO issues at all.  As the android devices rarely ever get updated, they would be on older versions of the wifi (802.11) protocols/drivers.  Perhaps Microsoft have fixed something / enhanced the security / or whatever in recent Windows updates which the router firmware just cant handle.

All of our laptops (that are in use) are W10 also.

But this is where we differ. My own Android phone (which is really old in terms of modern day chuck away society) connects via both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz spectrums. I was having real issues on this phone whereas your kids didn't have issues (unless they were only 2.4Ghz only?)

I'm liking your thought process regarding the older and newer versions of 802.11 Smiley

Either way, I have given up troubleshooting the plusnet router issues and had swapped it out for my previous router (BT Smart Hub type A).  It presents as a Hub6.  I have also split the wifi on it (probably no need but want to test isolated performance by keeping the PCs on the 5GHz side and all the phones and android devices on the 2.4GHz side.

And so did I, but only because they stopped communicating with me. I would have been more than happy to have seen this through - possibly 'solved' several weeks ago...?

If the plusnet router team would like my old plusnet router back so they can test on it, drop me a PM and we can arrange to post it back.  May be of use as they seem unable to replicate the issue.

Hmm, although it currently doesn't work, it might have been worth keeping it for a spare - but I too offered to send either or both of mine back (with the faults on them) but they declined my offer

Thanks to all who contributed to this post.  Hopefully its off use to others.

No problem, glad to hear your wifi issues have been solved (like I, by moving away from their provided router running their latest software) Smiley