Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi extender

FIXED
alcorn63
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

WiFi extender

Hi I'm Having trouble with the WiFi signal in bedroom and can't use my andriod TV as signal keeps dropping constantly. I have split the fibre broadband 5G and 2.4g on the router and dedicated my downstairs TV to the 5g as I have found it works faster and I get a much better and constant connection if only it is the only item on 5g. My andriod phone,and wife's iPhone and tablet are connected to 2.4g and I now have very little signal drop. However I have a dead spot in the bedroom,and was wondering if there was a simple way I could extend the range? I realise I can simply use my andriod smart phone as a Wlan bridge and plug it in on the landing it extends signal brilliantly from downstairs to the bedroom but if my phone is used constantly it can get very warm and uses a terrific amount of battery power plus if I get a call I have to go to landing to answer it. I do have the old plus net broadband Adl router is there anyway I can use it as a wireless extender.
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: WiFi extender

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

A device acting as a Wlan bridge needs to have the ability to act as both a WiFi client and a WAP at the same time.  Your old ADSL router cannot do that.

If you could get an Ethernet connection to the landing, you could configure the old router as a WAP, however using a LAN over power adapter which has a WiFi Access Point might be far easier.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alcorn63
Rising Star

Thanks reply appreciated 👍 I wasn't at all sure if I could use my old router . I will continue using my mobile as a bridge for now,, and might sometime down the line buy simple plug in extender . Please take care and keep safe . Alan
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

See https://www.amazon.co.uk/powerline-adapters/b?ie=UTF8&node=430576031

I have had good experience with Devolo dLAN products.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Fix

To improve coverage first choice is a second access point (AP), connected by Ethernet.  Second choice would be the power line adapters as suggested by Townman.  I use TP Link and can confirm that do not affect my ADSL signal at all.   The only functional difference is really that the power line adapters are not as fast or reliable as Ethernet.  

Using a wireless range extender is very much my third choice for a couple of reasons. Particularly because unlike the first two options they have to be on the same channel as your existing AP, meaning they are sharing bandwidth.  Having said that it can be a simple fix requiring only one additional box.  And if you can set it to talk to your existing AP on 2.4GHz but connect clients on 5GHz (or vice versa) then that helps with the bandwidth issue.

alcorn63
Rising Star

Thank you followed your advice,and it worked perfectly. Bought a little wireless extender of an auction site . Plugged it in on the landing connected to the router and it works seamlessly. Then went to the router and separated the signals to manually connect. Again improved . 👌😁👍 Much appreciated