cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi 6

peterb
Grafter

WiFi 6

I'm on plusnet unlimited fibre.  Router plusnet Hub One, which plusnet suppied and I paid postage.  Works reasonably well although a few internet cold spots in the house.

I'm thinking about a new computer, specs include Wifi 6.  Plusnet Router Hub One doesn't do WiFi 6.   I don't think Hub Two does either. 

I wondering whether WiFi 6 is a worthwhile upgrade?  Worth buying a special router?

Alternatively would it be worthwhile to see if plusnet would let me have a Hub Two which might be an improvement ?

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: WiFi 6

@peterb Plusnet do not offer the Hub2 - isn't that a BT Broadband offering (and fairly new)? Is is it Wi-Fi6? Personally, I would invest in a BT HH6 - while there are still some on the market - which is a great improvement on the Hub1. The HH6 is not WiFi6 either, and although I have not looked at those on the market that are, their price is astronomical.

John
peterb
Grafter

Thanks reply.  I'm thinking about Plusnet Hub Two on this page: Information about your Plusnet Router | Help | Plusnet

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@peterb 

Well, well, well!

PlusNet have a new router on offer. You appear to be the first to notice it.

The HubOne is a re-badged BT HH5. I would hazard a guess that the HubTwo is a re-badged BT SmartHub One or Two.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Sorry - I didn't realise they had released the Hub2 - I'm no longer a PN customer, so don't spend much time looking at their Help pages any more. I'm guessing here, because I haven't looked at the BT HH6 specs, but this could be the Plusnet version of it.

@bmc has beaten me to it, but I think he is correct in his assumption of it being the re-badged version of the SmartHub1. I note, though, that you can't split the 2.4/5Ghz  bands, which is a slight retrograde step.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

We’ve had a trial for the Hub Two and even though you can’t split the SSIDs, I’ve heard a lot of good things, so I imagine it switches the frequencies really well. 

It’s released for business customers first and residential’s coming soon. I can’t say a timeframe though. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
bmc
Hero

@Anoush 

Is it a re-badged BT SmartHub1 or SmartHub2 ?

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I believe it's a SmartHub 2, though don't think it has the extra disk.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero

@dvorak 

Thanks

For some reason I've always thought BT Hubs went HH5, HH6, SH1, SH2 but having a look round the BT Help pages I can't see any sign of a SmartHub1 listed - even although every other Hub BT have used is.

So no SmartHub1 then which means the PlusNet HubTwo must be a re-badged SmartHub2.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@bmc 

Smarthub is the proper name for what many call a HH6 or Smarthub 6 (to cover both options). Its replacement is a Smarthub 2.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@peterb 

You may want to think why you would need a WiFi 6 router, or modem/router if you want to use it on a FTTC service. Are you a super gamer with a computer with a brain the size of a planet and or multiple gamers who must have the very fastest response? If so you also need a faster internet service, GFast ot FTTP. Do you want to network your internal devices wirelessly? If so this will help if all devices are WiFi 6 compatible. However you would do far better installing Ethernet cable.

Do you want better WiFi connectivity throughout your property? If so why put all your eggs in the one WiFi 6 basket? For about the same money consider installing a Mesh system.

Do you just want the latest bells and whistles plus bragging rights? If so just go and buy one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

peterb
Grafter

Plusnet help desk say that Hub Two is not available until November.  Said they normally supply new routers only if existing router is not working. 

I prefer to use 5GHz band, because it faster.  What is the signficance of Split Wi-Fi bands/SSID on Hub Two?  I have my wireless adapter set to prefer 5GHz.  So normally it uses 5GHz.  Would no Split Wi-Fi bands/SSID have an effect on that?