cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi speed dropping when upstairs

Tonka3434

Wi-Fi speed dropping when upstairs

Hi not had many problems in all the years I have been with plusnet and this one is only small.

My wifi has gone from ok to terrible when I’m upstairs and nothing has changed my end,I am on the original equipment plus net sent to me which is:router N150 and modem echolife HG612 and wondered if they are failing slightly with being quite old now.

I am on the plusnet unlimited fibre 64-72mbps but am not getting anywhere near that upstairs as it sometimes won’t even connect.

8 REPLIES 8
nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Wi-Fi speed dropping when upstairs

I think the router is dual band has 2.4 GHz been turned off?

Tonka3434

Good question were do I adjust that ?
nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Sorry, it appears to be 2.4GHz only.

Have you tried changing the channel?

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Could be interference from neighbour's WiFi?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Tonka3434 

You could try ringing the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632. If you have recently renewed your contract then ask if they will send you a new Hub 2 for the P&P charge. This number is normally answered quite quickly during office hours.

If you are mid-way through your contract then ask if they will give you one if you renew your contract early. You don't get if you don't ask.

If they won't play ball then you can pick up a BT Smarthub or Smarthub 2 for very little money on auction sites. These need configuring to work with Plusnet. They have the same improved dual band wireless capability. You will find full instructions pinned to the top of this Router board.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Tonka3434

Thanks for reply I will contact them.

I have also checked my speed and it seems very low around 40mbps when it should be 64-72 could this also be a issue ?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Tonka3434 

How are you measuring your speed?

It is important that you test with a computer connected directly to the Plusnet hub over an Ethernet cable. Nothing else should be using the Internet at the same time. If that is below the minimum guaranteed speed quoted in your contract, then you have a broadband issue. If it is fine when directly connected then it's a wireless issue. It is important that you determine which as the remedies are totally different.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @Tonka3434,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with the Wi-Fi. I've had a look over your account today and I can see that the line performance is as we'd expect, with a downstream sync speed of 73.9Mbps currently coming in. I see that you rebooted the router yesterday - did this improve the wireless connection for you at all?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team