cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What router to get?

KAR
Dabbler

What router to get?

The in-laws are PlusNet customers on the basic broadband (not fibre). They have a PlusNet 2704n router. It’s years old and is hot to the touch. It has started dropping the internet. The fix is to switch off, give it a minute, switch back on, then everything is ok until it happens again next week or next month. I phoned PlusNet to find out if I can get a new router for them. PlusNet will only supply another 2704n. PlusNet said the in-laws would have to upgrade to fibre to qualify for the latest Hub Two. The in-laws don’t want or need fibre. But never say never, they might upgrade and it would be handy to have something that could cope with it. Also, it would be handy to have something that PlusNet could support in case I’m away when the in-laws need help. PlusNet said I should buy a BT Hub6 because they can support it. Should I get a BT Hub6 from eBay. Or what about a PlusNet Hub One or Hub Two? I’d appreciate any advice anyone can give.

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: What router to get?

@KAR The Hub6 is probably the best bet as it is ADSL/VDSL compatible and cheapish.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@jab1 Get a Smarthub or Smarthub 2 from an auction site. I’m sceptical about support from Plusnet but there’s plenty on this forum. You will find settings etc. pinned to the top of this board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

KAR
Dabbler

I mentioned about PlusNet supporting the router because when I spoke to their technical people it was they who said to get a BT Hub6 because they can support it. There are plenty of BT Hub6 on eBay for about £30 and PlusNet Hub Ones for about £12 but no PlusNet Hub Twos at the moment.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@jab1 Get a Smarthub or Smarthub 2 from an auction site. I’m sceptical about support from Plusnet but there’s plenty on this forum. You will find settings etc. pinned to the top of this board.

I have a strange feeling neither would work for me, @Baldrick1  - I am no longer a PN customer. And you should know I've been around long enough to know all that, I have referred others to your excellent instructions previously.🙂

John
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

We actually no longer stock the Hub Zero (2704N) so if we replace the router, it’ll be a Hub One. If you drop one of us Help Team a private message Here with their account username, we’ll look at the options to replace the router, and I’d then recommend returning the old one to us as it shouldn’t get that hot. There’s instructions Here. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Baldrick1

@jab1 

Sorry, I intended to post this to @KAR , not you. I am aware that you are no longer a Plusnet customer.

The purpose of referencing your advice was to bring to the OP’s attention where further information could be found. I did this in case the impression gained from your response was that it is a straight Plug and Play swap.

I thought it strange that Plusnet were still dishing out the 2704 so it is good that this has finally been consigned to the recycling bin.

Roll on the Hub One going the same way. That would eliminate many router related issues that appear on this board.

It will however probably raise another lengthy thread due to the inability to separate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands on the new Hub Two. The last time I checked the BT forum this topic had attracted around 900 responses.

Moderator and Customer

KAR
Dabbler

@Baldrick1, I get the impression you don't think much of the PN Hub One either.

Baldrick1

Let me put it this way.

The Hub One is a BT Home Hub 5a with tweeked firmware. It was superseded by BT with the Smarthub in 2016. Many Plusnet customers get on with it fine. Others have noticed it being unacceptably noisy. The Smarthubs and now Plusnet Hub 2 have better WiFi performance.

Moderator and Customer

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I'm on my second year with BT HH6 replacing my PN Hub One, cost £15 on Gumtree. Ten minute setup thanks to Baldrick's excellent advice on this forum, better in every respect. Steady 37MB on FTTC with some 300m copper wire from the cabinet. I couldn't recommend a better tweak to Plusnet's excellent BB service, not one minute's downtime in seven years.

Baldrick1

@KAR 

As I stated earlier, the Smarthub settings need to be tweeked to get them to work with Plusnet. This can lead to problems if one is being set up for a non technical savvy third party. Very occasionally network problems can result in a Smarthub losing the Plusnet settings meaning that the Plusnet log in credentials are lost. It is literally a two minute job if you know what you are doing but…

If this happens with a Plusnet supplied hub then it will automatically set itself up again.

A second hand Plusnet hub will also need settings to be re entered unless you get the credentials entered into the Plusnet database.

So it’s a toss up whether you go for a Plusnet freebie Hub One and try it. If you can get a freebie Hub Two then go for it.

Moderator and Customer