cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vigor 130 with TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh

Quiffster68
Hooked

Vigor 130 with TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh

Hello folks. I am have been running a Vigor 130 Modem with a  four node TP-Link M5 Mesh system for a couple of years on an FTTC service. Downloads speeds are down to around 55-60Mb from the ~70Mb I had many moons ago (measured via SamKnows). With increased usage (4K streaming, consoles, virtual lessons) & permanently WFH I am now considering a WiFi 6 router which has prompted me to try & resolve performance. As I understand it PlusNet helpdesk will not discuss performance issues if not using their hub, so hoping the great & the good here can help 

MTU is 1520 on the Vigor 130. For some reason I cannot access the modem GUI console directly unless I connect directly (but I think from reading around this is to be expected?) 

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated - thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Vigor 130 with TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh

Hiya @Quiffsrer68, thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues and noticed a speed drop.

Whilst our other forum users are the ones to best support you with your router/ modem queries, I have tested your line and can see you are currently banded, so have raised a request to have this lifted to see if this helps things for you. This is usually actioned within 3 working days.

I have raised a fault ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=220752645 just so our faults team can keep an eye on this for you.

I can also see there has been a few drops in connection, though was unsure if this was from you rebooting the router etc? I have provided the connection logs below for you to review:

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Quiffster68
Hooked

Thanks @LaurenB . I can confirm the disconnects are as a result of my rebooting the modem & router a few times.

I will monitor speeds over the next few days. How will I know the banding has been removed, & do I need to do anything afterwards (reboot etc)?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming, if that explains the drops then that's one less concern Smiley

You may just need to reboot once the line is banded, so maybe just give it a reboot by about next Tue/Wed if you haven't heard from our Faults team or feel free to give us a nudge on here and we can retest for you.

If you have any queries in the meantime though, just get back to us!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Quiffster68
Hooked

Thanks again @LaurenB . I noticed the fault ticket shows a maximum download speed of 66.9Mbs which means there is potential to get another 17% from my actual 56Mbs.

For anyone else viewing this thread, I am still trying to understand what the optimal MTU set-up should be. Testing via http://www.letmecheck.it/mtu-test.php shows 

The maximum MTU size for 212.159.23.132 is: 1480

It looks like the MTU on the Deco M5 router isn't configurable, so I guess the question is what should it be on the Vigor 130?

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

On my Draytek 2762 modem router, I found an MTU of 1520 cause very random issues and setting it to 1492 resolved them all.... somehow I'd changed it when I did a firmware upgrade to the Draytek and it set itself to default 1520, certain sites would not load or would take forever to load.... lots of odd behaviour, I think someone on here suggested lowering MTU, my Draytek has an MTU detect feature in its web menu and it chose 1492 and was perfect after that.

Quiffster68
Hooked

Thanks Orby. I dropped my MTU to 1480, but still falling 10Mbs short of what Plusnet say the line is capable of. I will try the value you have suggested.