cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Poor Wifi

eddiemcgarrigle

Very Poor Wifi

I had issues with phones being kicked off WiFi a while back. Got the update for the router and everything seemed fine.

Realised my IP address was static and not dynamic so I got that sorted. Now the issues are starting again. Phones getting kicked off WiFi, wife struggling to get a signal to her laptop (working from home) and son moaning that he keeps losing connection to his Xbox.

Any help would really be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Very Poor Wifi

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @eddiemcgarrigle 

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your WI-FI connection. As you've correctly pointed out, there are no issues with the line itself, so the issues you're experiencing appear to be solely with the wireless connection.

It might be worth checking out our support page - also via our Forums, which has handy tips on how to improve your WIFI connection, please find it here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

You can also have a look into disbanding your router, as the 5Gz band is known to cause similar issues to the ones outlined above, further information on doing this can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
eddiemcgarrigle

I've tried everything to try and remedy this but nothing is working.  Wife can get on with work as long as 2.4GZ is turned off.  Son can't get onto his xbox unless 5Gz is turned off.

Another issue is that the firestick picks up the wireless signal as fair, regardless of where the router is plugged in.  Netflix struggles to connect.  I bought a wifi extender, still the same problem.

Phone shows a wireless connection but can't connect to internet unless wifi is turned off and it then reverts to 4G.

I repeat, I had these issues before I previously asked for the hub update and then everything worked fine but since having my IP address moved from static to dynamic, all the old problems are back with a vengeance.

Wits end doesn't describe it adequately enough.

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.1

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @eddiemcgarrigle, thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear the connection issues you're seeing look to be persisting. The cahnge from static IP back to dynamic should be changing the way your router is performing your side and could just be coincidence with the issues you've been seeing. By all means if you wish to see how the connection is performing on a wired device as this could in fact highlight an underlying issue with the connection as a whole.

As it sounds like you're splitting and adjusting the wireless bands I'd advise if you have trouble connecting your devices after doing so (the xbox) then perhaps forgetting the network completely on the device and searching afresh will help get it back connected. I'd recommend doing the same with the phone as well as it could be the devices remembering the old paired settings and when trying to connect the changed wireless settings could be stopping them.
Let us know how it goes.