Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Follow the instructions here by member Baldrick 1 , The BT Wi-Fi setting only applies to BT Customers and will not affect plusnet users . Ensure Smart set up is switched off though before plugging in the dsl cable in .
If having difficulty try a hub reset both by Using the hub manager and pin in back and set up again
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@selaciosa 

When you say it's not showing how are you looking? For example, are your devices set to scan for available wireless networks?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Groucho
Hooked

I have been working through Baldrick's instructions to set up a SmartHub2 but have got stuck on Steps 6  & 7 - entering broadband username and password.

I don't get an option to save. Have tried moving to Advanced Settings and then back to Broadband but that doesn't seem to save it either. 

Any suggestions of what I should try next.

BT SmartHub setup.jpeg

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Make sure smart set up is switched off in advanced settings, only plug dsl cable in when Password and yourusername@plusdsl.net has been entered and select connect.
Baldrick1

@Groucho 

As @LifeonMars says, this is a classic symptom of not following the instructions and plugging the DSL cable in before instructed to do so. Unplug it and re-enter your Plusnet credentials. If that doesn't work read through this https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer

Groucho
Hooked

@LifeonMars & @Baldrick1 I definitely have not plugged the DSL cable in yet - in fact I haven't even taken it out of the box yet!

I'll start reading through the thread, but was hoping not to have to read through 50 pages of posts to find an answer to this particular issue. 😉

selaciosa

So I followed the instructions exactly on 3 occasions and only plugged in the cable at the stage my username and password have been entered. Disabled smart set up and reset on both occasions. Any device on which I try to search for the router will not find it
Groucho
Hooked

OK - after ploughing through about 20 pages of posts I found a reference to the fact that on the Smart Hub 2 you have to click on Connect rather than Save in order to save your user name and password. 

Might be worth mentioning this in the opening post of this thread.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

So you did not read my post 859 in replying to your question 😁
Ben1
Grafter

Is the BT Smarthub 6 an IPv6 compatible device? If it isn’t, is there any way to make it so?

For those struggling with configuring the BT router, do persist. If I can do it, anyone can do it!

Baldrick1

@Groucho wrote:

Might be worth mentioning this in the opening post of this thread.

There's a short editing window after ypu make a post after which it is locked. Hence the update topic brought to your attention yesterday:

See point 15:

After the username and password is set there may no longer be a ‘Save’ option. However, connecting the DSL cable and if necessary, selecting ‘Connect’ results in the Plusnet settings being retained.

Often applicable to me too is the saying: "When everything else fails read the instructions."

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Ben1 wrote:

Is the BT Smarthub 6 an IPv6 compatible device?

@Ben1 

Yes, but Plusnet currently do not support IPv6.

Moderator and Customer

dejjones
Rising Star

I have gleaned information from this excellent thread many times, but have found difficulty in navigating to particular pages and posts.

I am sure this is just my own incompetence, but can someone tell if there is an easy way to bet to page 31 for example?

Baldrick1

@dejjones 

Not apart from scrolling through the pages, but why would you? If you have a question then why not just ask?

Moderator and Customer

Ben1
Grafter

I have recently had two devices (a TP Link smart plug and a new TV) that are not accepting my internet router password, even though I’m sure it’s correct as I enter it. Should I change my router password, and if so is this quite straight forward?

Thanks!