cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Ben1
Grafter

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Hi, I have had a frustrating time, even though I feel I’m about 95% of the way to the finishing line. At point 10 in the instructions, I have been able to log into the router at 192.168.1.254, but when I click on connect, the router light changes to solid orange and goes nowhere, for over 2 hours. Should I leave it on even longer, say overnight?

I have returned to the Plusnet Hub One to do this message.

Many thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Ben1 

No, it should have connected by now. Either you have not followed the instructions to the letter or you have been sold a dead Smarthub.

Has the Plusnet username and password been retained?

Did you use the right username and password, that's the username that you use to log into your Plusnet account with @plusdsl.net added to it and your account password?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Ben1
Grafter

Many thanks. I will go back over 76your instructions again and ensure tgat I did it in the right sequence. I think that the hub is new old stock, as the package was sealed, but that’s no guarantee of course.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Some BT Hubs did not accept odd characters in the  password, such as _)(*&^%$£@!  etc until the firmware was updated.

Baldrick1

@LifeonMars 

That’s true and covered in my update post. However it’s the orange light that’s bothering me. I don’t know but would have expected a blue light and possibly the BT troubleshooting page to appear.

Moderator and Customer

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Solid Orange  means hub working but not connected to the Internet, so would possibly mean an incorrect password or incorrect username

Baldrick1

@LifeonMars 

That’s very true but the alternative mode that I am pretty sure that I have seen in the past is that the hub synchronises with the BT infrastructure, showing a blue light, but can’t resolve the username or password so fails to make the connection with the Plusnet servers.

They are probably both failure modes depending on where the error lies.

Moderator and Customer

Ben1
Grafter

I will bear these comments in mind when I re-approach the task tomorrow. I'll report back.

Ben1
Grafter

Hi, on point 4 Select ‘Smart Setup’. I don’t appear to have that option on the main hub manager page, did I miss something? Thanks.

Baldrick1

@Ben1 

Yes and no. It’s been moved in a firmware update. See here for more information on updates https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601, especially point 14.

Moderator and Customer

Ben1
Grafter

Wow, I think I’ve finally cracked it! Online and happy, thank you so much for all your support and encouragement. I will report back if there are any issues.

Ben1
Grafter

One final thing, can I call the ‘Network name’ anything I like? The assigned BT name is a little clunky. And what about the ‘Security  password’? Can I use a better word?

Thanks!

Baldrick1

@Ben1 

If you mean the wireless network SSID and password then yes you can change it. 

Moderator and Customer

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Unfortunately after getting new firmware nothing has changed  on hub one. and ive bought a bt hub 6 as suggested by others.

Devices being kicked off, low speeds, ip profile gone down from 40+ to 35 due to reboots.

Everyone in household complaining since using this router after my n56u's 2.4ghz died.

Just bought a opened - never used bt 6 for £11.38 on ebay auction.

Hub one is the worse router ever, can't believe plusnet dragging this dead horse along for this long.

rrfcpczkae
Dabbler

Hello,

I'd like to ask for some thoughts re. buying (potentially) smarthub, I'm on plusnet hub one (which sits downstairs) and as we have three floors, so wifi is predictably poor. We've managed via v. cheap powerline bricks, which work fine, but kids would PREFER to have decent wifi signal, rather than be on a cable leash ;), and for them, primary lifeline is a mobile, not a pc anyway. I looked at extending powerline solution by adding a powerline-based extender, but altogether it does become a bit of a patchwork and the cost of such a decent, 2-band extender, is not exactly a couple of quid, even used, with no guarantee it would work well, or at all. So I wondered, if it's worth buying a (business) smarthub2 (though I'm a little confused about the naming, i..e. smarthub 2, which appears the current bt model, v. 'smarthub 6', which the title o this thread).
https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/different-types-of-bt-hub
One concern re smarthub I have is the disclaimer on bt product site:
"The BT Smart Hub will only work with BT broadband"
- should it be taken literally? Presumably not, i.e. the above extends to plusnet broadband, given this thread? Does it mean it would not work if I move to, I don't know, another adsl-based, non-bt provider (talktalk?! Wink
I have strong objection against generating e-waste, so I'd rather settle for something that's less functional, but 'open-ended' that I can re-use, if I have to.

Another option I'm considering is tenda mw3 mesh, i.e. 3 cubes system (connected to plusnet hub one). I know it's a bit silly to compare smarthub2 with mw3, as they are different end product, but from the viewpoint of what I want to achieve, and the price, these two are actually comparable. My gut feeling is that tenda cubes would provide much better coverage, given that each would sit on each floor, but smarthub would offer features and functions that are more 'future-proof', i.e. gigabit, and finer controls than plusnet one hub. I know tenda 3 speed is restricted by 10/100 ethernet ports anyway, but I'm not too bothered, I have reservations about mega! giga! ultra! speed claims. We were on 100 mbps with VM cable, and I hardly ever saw downloads faster than 12mbps anyway, so we're quite happy on the current 30+ mb adsl with plusnet.
Anyway, I'd be grateful for any comments and thoughts on the above. And yes, I realize, one solution to this 1st world dilemma could be: get BOTH...

Regards,
n.