cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

alana1

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Hi thanks for your hepl -  will try again, maybe with bt hub I should use the bt cable/filters - I just switched off Plus net hub and used that connections in BT hub.

Checked the login details and all good, so as I said I get to Edit Broadband user name and password but there is no Save to select, just a tab to connect (is this the save button)? it trys to connect for about 30seconds and then still not connected

thanks

A

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Connectors and filters all same,  Connect/save  top right same thing.

Could be a password problem, but read Baldricks updated post 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601  

ContentRemoved

Mine worked no bother since joining plusnet from BT in Jan.... Went off at 2am and have had to go to the the white eyesore now.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@ContentRemoved   Welcome to the forum 

Occasionally the firmware will crash. When this happens they automatically factory reset so all that might have happened is that you have lost your Plusnet log in credentials. If so, simply remove the DSL lead, re-enter your plusnet user name appended with @plusdsl.net, password and plug the DSL line back in.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mindfulmatt

Hi. Please update this really useful post. After an hour of frustration setting up a BT business hub I worked out that it will only accept passwords using letters and numbers and not special characters (I was using some special characters). I thus changed my password on my Plusnet account (had to go back on to my plusnet hub for it to process) and removed special characters, then put new simpler password in and hey presto! Thanks
Baldrick1

@Mindfulmatt 

You only have a short period to edit posts after which they are locked. 
This is why I have produced this  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer

ContentRemoved

Thanks, I've tried several times to redo the details but always end up with an orange light.

Lots of odd errors with my internet today so I may have another go later (as I'm blaming the white eyesore hub lol)

alana1

Hi much thanks to Baldrick1 thats me on to my bt hub and working - I think I got in a muddle with passwords - so anyway I changed my password and bingo it connected - It stalled earlier when I got to stage of pressing the connect button (is this the save button)? but on Baldric1 advice I then after pressing connect I connected the DSL cable and no problems well just a slight buffering on utube etc but much better than using the plus net hub - I guess i need to improve my wireless signal we live in a home with the hub at one end and smart tv etc at other (its a bit of a distance) to house end so maybe have to invest in boosters ?? - as you can easly guess am no expert on tech matters but looking at improving the wirless signal I dont mind spending a bit on boosters if that will help or is the mesh sytem better and its more expensive - please appreciate any advice

thanks

A

Baldrick1

@alana1 

Pleased to heat that you’ve up and running.

Regarding your WiFi, this explains your options. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

Moderator and Customer

Jonesy11

Today my B.T. smart hub was not connecting.This occurred overnight. The broadband user name had changed from my Plusnet to BT broadband. I changed it to my plusnet user name and entered my password, pressed the connect button and all was restored. Phew! I have no save button. I noticed that there was no details showing on any tcp/ip information, but all this came back automatically after pressing the connect button. Jonesy11

Baldrick1

@Jonesy11 

This can occasionally happen. The likely cause is a firmware crash in the hub, which can be triggered by many events. If you are a BT customer the result is a short connection drop whilst the hub reconfigures itself. Obviously this will not work with a Plusnet account and this is the effect.

Moderator and Customer

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Baldrick1 another possibility is where there's a broadband interruption of some description - e.g. brief drop in sync - and the router tries to automatically 'fix' the condition.

A lot of BT hubs contain logic that looks for sync but not a PPP session, and if it encounters such a situation, can attempt to rectify the problem by 'resetting' the PPP credentials. I'm not certain of the exact triggers, but I do know such a thing exists.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

nathansykes

Hello,
I'm hoping you can help. I'm trying to connect a my work IP phone to home Internet. Realised problem is SIP ALG which I'm unable to turn off as many other users have reported same issue.
Ive purchased a BT 6 business hub and followed your instructions as above but still showing stable orange light on hib and I'm not sure where i have gone wrong.
My laptop is showing connected but no Internet.
Baldrick1

@nathansykes  Welcome to the forum.

Have you read this? https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601
One mistake is to plug in the DSL cable before instructed to do so.

Moderator and Customer

Chris0
Hooked

I was successfully using the BT Smarthub for around 10 months and it was working fine.  Gradually started to get drop outs in connection.  Eventually it dropped completely.  Tested phone line with a handset and all OK.  Replaced with old Plusnet router and that seems to be working (albeit with the same poor wifi issues as before).   So, the problem is with the BT Smarthub.

I've tried numerous times to do a factory reset and going back through the steps on page 1.  My password is alphanumeric and is the correct one as used on my Plusnet broadband account. 

I get to step 10 and click "connect".  Instead of eventually going blue the light just stays flashing purple even after I leave it for ages.  And after a while the purple "connecting" purple thing eventually reverts back to "Connect".  Also, a pop up appears asking me to enter the Admin password again.  

I'm at the end of my contract with Plusnet so may just switch provide but if there is a fix for this issue I may consider staying. 

Any thoughts?