cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Rickman
Hooked

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Hi! So I set the Smart hub 6 up fine and it worked brilliantly, but none of my Google speakers would connect. Has anyone had similar issues?
I tried splitting the channels, having channel less that 10 on 2.4ghz, disabling 5ghz and a trick where I'm on airplane mode - nothing. It goes through all the connection process then tells me it cannot connect to the router. If anyone has found a workaround I'll be eternally grateful. Thanks!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Rickman 

Try a factory reset on your Google devices and set them up from scratch.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Rickman
Hooked

Thanks, will do!
Juliandavis72
Hooked

Hi
As per baldricks advice. I did a factory reset and then carefully followed all steps from the very beginning and it worked ok. This was on an LG sl 8 soundbar using google home app. I’m sure you won’t forget to signin etc . Good luck.
Rickman
Hooked

When you say sign in, sorry...you mean on the devices?
Juliandavis72
Hooked

Yep I had to go into google home app then sign in the device. This was in addition to setting up the WiFi connection.
Chris0
Hooked

Perhaps the original post can be amended to advise that your Plusnet password and username can only contain alpha/ numeric characters?  This wasn't immediately obvious to me and I did not know why it wasn't working until I read through quite a few pages of this thread.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Unfortunately earlier post are unable to be modified,  hence when persons have problems with connection  we reply with that fact. 

There are two main posts on Connecting a BT Home Hub to plusnet, one  by Baldrick1 for a BT Business Smart Hub  here #1

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

and One by me on #41 here

with photos,  (unfortunately I am unable to add,  do not connect DSL cable until you have entered your username@plusdsl.net  and your plusnet password in the router settings and ready press the  connect tab at top right of router page. Do not use any odd characters such as @£%^&*(@) etc until after the hub firmware has updated after connection. 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/td-p/1349153/page/3

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Leapy 

Of course there is something better, but probably not for about 20 quid.

But how do you define better? Wifi? Don't bother, adding a mesh system  is a better solution. Other bells and whistles such as a guest network? On board VPN? Etc? You need to identify your needs and budget then shop around.

@Baldrick1  I'm happy with my smarthub and how it performs Smiley and very happy with Plusnet too and all the great staff Thumbs_Up

I was looking at the BT Smart hub 2 and it seems very similar apart form Dect https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/different-types-of-bt-hub

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Leapy 

Unless you have additional mesh unit(s) compatible with a Smarthub 2 then as far as I can see you are better off with a Smarthub 6 as you can't separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on the Smarthub 2.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

amarshe
Hooked

Been using mine since October and delighted. However it seems to reboot on average every two weeks. Internet searches indicate this is common!

Any reason? Annoying when it happens at 22:30 on a Saturday night!
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

You can change the timing of a reboot every 14 days if you yourself do a factory reset at a time that the next '14 day reboot '  will be less inconvenient.  😁

amarshe
Hooked

Thanks! I will try and stay up until late to do this.

NickFry

Excellent, many thanks for this, the plusnet router was extremely unstable for Wifi.  As I have just moved from BT to plusnet and so I handily have a BT Hub 6, how lucky is that?  Connected up as you said and spot on, not a glitch since.