Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@Peter_Paul_fox wrote:

Hi,

Can you set MAC filtering and fixed IP addresses on BT HH6 or BT Smart Hub 2. The Hub One doesn't allow that and as previously noted WiFi is awful especially 5GHz. was thinking of getting the Smart Hub2. 

You cannot Allocate a fixed IP address in a Smarthub 6 but you can lock in a DHCP allocated address so that it always uses that address on reconnection. As far as I am aware you can't MAC filter.

Be aware that you cannot split the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on a Smarthub 2. My preferred device is a Business Smarthub 6.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Medz
Hooked

New Plusnet customer Help with BT Smart Hub 2 Please Help

Hello to everyone

I am not especially technical so would appreciate any help,

I am coming over from BT ADSL broadband (fibre broadband is not available in my area)

my plusnet ADSL broadband services will go live in a few days.

I received the plusnet basic N hub which I don't plan on opening, because I want to continue using my BT Smart Hub 2

As I understand it on the day my service goes live with plusnet I am to remove the ADSL cable from BT smart hub 2 then connect to the bt smart hub 2 via ethernet then under advanced settings, then broadband settings, I should enter my plusnet username with the plusnet email address then I am to enter my Plusnet password (no special characters) just alphanumeric however when I had to set up my password I used uppercase and lowercase characters I hope that's okay?

Once the plusnet username and password has been entered I should reconnect

the ADSL cable on BT Smart Hub 2 then connect and hopefully it will connect to Plusnet.

And then do a BT smart hub 2 restart (power cycle)

and all should be well,

PS I do not use any bt complete wifi disc Just the BT Smart hub 2 only.

I am not especially technical so would appreciate any help,

Please let me know if there is any mistakes in the procedure that I have outlined.

Any help is much appreciated thank you in advance.

Baldrick1

@Medz 

You've nearly got it right.

Your user name should be in the form username@plusdsl.net Not your email address.

As you say you use the same username and password that you use to log in to your Plusnet account.

There is no requirement to power cycle or reset anything after you are connected.

Moderator and Customer

Medz
Hooked

@Baldrick1 

Thank You Vary Much.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I would also make sure that in advanced settings of the Smart Hub "Smart set up" is off 

also only connect the dsl line when you have entered yourusername@plusdsl.net and you have entered your password and ready to connect to plusnet.

geehawk
Rising Star

Just posting to say thanks for this thread.

Grabbed a Business Hub 6 off Ebay for £25, set it up as per instructions, and now have better Wifi coverage and 5GHz that's usable. Which in turn means my tablet can now be used with bluetooth headphones without 2.4 WiFi speeds dropping off a cliff due to interference, and my desktop upstairs (with a new £8 Wifi dongle) can connect at speeds it used to be able to before I gave up my powerline connection to my Wife so she could work from home this year.

Juliandavis72
Hooked

Wondering if anybody could help I am trying to connect a BT smart hub six I have changed the broadband username and password to access Plusnet but as with previous writer I have no save button following the stages in stage eight if I go back to advanced settings and then click on broadband my broadband username has been reset to the BT one I do find the only way it saves is by pushing connect button and I have done that before connecting the DSL as per instructions. But it still won’t connect or light remains orange. I have waited for 15 minutes screen still says disconnected . Any help appreciated thanks
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Only connect the DSL cable after you have changed the settings in the router to 'yourusername'@plusdsl.net and used the password you use to log into your member centre.

Make sure smart set up is also off in Smart hub settings.

See my post 41 here with screen shots

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/td-p/1349153/page/3

If you still cannot connect try a hard reset of the Bt Smart hub, making sure you keep the pin in the hole for a fair amount of time..

Medz
Hooked

@Juliandavis72 

Please do let us know if you ware successful, My service goes live in a few days.

il be in same bout trying to get it working.

Best of luck.

Many Thank to @Baldrick1 and @LifeonMars 

Juliandavis72
Hooked

thanks life on mars for trying to help, appreciated.

I have repeated steps carefully, as I said I have no save button, if I push connect that seems to keep settings . smart set up is off. I then connect dsl cable it immediately goes orange light ...then I wait   15 minutes still orange . connect button is highlighted again after about 30secs to a minute in this process. after 15 mins nothing happens still!!!!  broadband username is correct and password correct ( although in plusnet router ,which I've connected again I can't see letters etc) . I'm not hugely proficient in these things but have split 2.4 and 5 etc on plusnet  router no problem and changed passwords channels etc  I'm on fast broadband about 40 -50 mbps speeds , have I got right router????? bt home hub 6BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Plusnet FTTC ADSL Broadband Wireless AC Router. very frustrating.  Thanks so much for your help any advice very grateful.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

On Bt Smart hub  when entering yourusername@plusdsl.net and password

in my photos on the link on post 41 there is only the Connect tab.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/td-p/1349153/page/37 eneter plusnet username and connect.png ‏489 KB

An orange Hub light shows Router working but not connected.

Is your password Correct ? are you entering your username@plusdsl.net ?

If yes then I would change plusnet password to something without a number or any odd character  just to see if it connects.

Have you Hard reset the BT router and tried again. Make sure you keep the reset pin for a long time 30secs or more untillcolour changes to green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWX4pd_BbHU

Once connected then you can re change plusnet password to a more secure on  and enter new one in router settings.

Once the BT smart hub as the updated firmware then odd characters should be accepted. 

Juliandavis72
Hooked

Thankyou Life on Mars for all your help...it is solved...I am stupid!!!   Just in case others ever overlook this..I was using an incorrect broadband password !  one capital out.  Every time I connected plusnet router the password is not shown in characters, I disconnected  then it is! entered correct in bt hub 6 and bingo!  Humble apologies and again thanks for all your help sorry to bother you all.

Julian Davis

Juliandavis72
Hooked

All running fine , up for 6-8 hours now and all good 🤞, if you follow the instructions carefully ( don’t plug in dsl lead until it says so, you should be fine. Good luck
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

While being very happy with my old BTSmarthub 6  (with it's Firmware auto-updated 1st November 2020) on a Plusnet FTTC Service, I wonder if there is a better device?Roll_eyes

Baldrick1

@Leapy 

Of course there is something better, but probably not for about 20 quid.

But how do you define better? Wifi? Don't bother, adding a mesh system  is a better solution. Other bells and whistles such as a guest network? On board VPN? Etc? You need to identify your needs and budget then shop around.

Moderator and Customer