Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@CuriousVole 

There are a few changes that I would make if there was the option. However there is only a short editing window after which the post is locked.

If you think about it if the OP could go back and change the original then following posts might not make sense.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Madhatter007
Grafter

@CuriousVole
No, you will need to connect before it will update, mine took a week or so, at that time FW date was July for the update
CuriousVole
Hooked

@Madhatter007 @Baldrick1 Ah, okay. Thank you! Smiley

Tom10
Hooked

Hi All. Not even sure how I post on here so have ended up as a reply. I have been suffering with poor WiFi performance for ages and ended up with WiFi extenders and powerline adaptors. Still lose internet on phone when connected to the actual Plusnet Hub One. Plusnet say I have a very stable connection so it must be my WiFi. From reading this forum looks like it could be my router. Suggestion is a BT business smart hub 6 but it mentions 2 versions. As far as I am aware I am fibre to cabinet (DSL connection into Hub One). Which smart hub 6 do I require (or does it not matter in my case)and can I recognise it from photos (you cannot usually get model numbers when searching online).
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Does not matter for FTTC/ADSL If you receive one with a Red Port or Port with a red sticker over it, just ignor and plug the cable into one of the Three Yellow sockets. 

When connecting your BT Router remember that it may not like odd characters in the password such as $%^&*(*)£@ etc if the unit your buying has not got the latest firmware installed.

Also remember not to plug the dsl cable into the phone socket until after you have entered your username@plusdsl.net and password and ready to connect.

Tom10
Hooked

Many thanks. Didn't want to end up with one I couldn't use. I am guessing you need the one with the red port if you are fibre into house.
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Yes that is correct.

Also  worth mentioning,  if you consider purchasing  the BT Smart Hub 2 You are unable to split the frequency bands 2.5GHx / 5GHz.  But you are able on the BT Smart Hub.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Tom10 wrote:
Many thanks. Didn't want to end up with one I couldn't use. I am guessing you need the one with the red port if you are fibre into house.

That's correct. You can also use this with a modem if you want to look at your DSL preformnce, see  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-FTTP-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-FTTC-Service/m-p/165176...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

papadelta

Hi Baldrick1

i get stuck at point n.8 of the resetting sequence.

Basically I try to save my username and password but I get a window with an error message.

Even if I try to move on a different page the data get don’t get saved.

any good advice?

thanks

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Not Baldrick but

If your password  has odd characters such as $£$^&*£@ etc change it before connecting for the first time, until router has updated firmware. With earlier firmware the Bt Hub would not connect if used.

make sure password is correct, same as the one you use to sign in to your member centre.

yourusername@plusdsl.net then password.

do not connect dsl cable until  ready to connect.

If that fails then do a hard reset of BT Hub 

tigersb
Hooked

I have folloew your instructions to number 10 but when I click on connect nothing happens
Smart hub showing steady orange
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

If the light is steady Orange then  The Hub is working but not connected.

Check your Internet Password and settings.  ie.   yourusername@plusdsl.net  is entered correctly and the password you use to connect to your member centre on the plus net web site.. Is the correct password

Make sure you do not have any odd characters in your password as I said earlier.

FranP

I have just acquired a BT Smarthub 6, based on the advice in this thread. However, I am with John Lewis and cannot get my username to work in the Broadband Advanced Settings. You gave advice to thusband on this to say use the john-lewis address rather than @plusdsl.net. When I do this I just get a message that the domain is not supported or recognised. I have read elsewhere that HH6 will accept:

@plusdsl.net
@plusnet.co.uk
@btinternet.com
@btbroadband.com
@dsl2.net
@f9.co.uk

but not @John-Lewis.com

Do you (or thusband) know of a way round this please?

Peter_Paul_fox
Hooked

Hi,

Can you set MAC filtering and fixed IP addresses on BT HH6 or BT Smart Hub 2. The Hub One doesn't allow that and as previously noted WiFi is awful especially 5GHz. was thinking of getting the Smart Hub2. 

Done a lot of research on here but couldn't find about fixed IP addresses.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Will only work with BT or a plusnet username. "yourusernername@plusdsl.net " with a password without any odd characters such as @£$%^&*(  72,.  etc  until  the firmware has updated